Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemglass hotplate controllers - "shorted" sensor
Acuyo
Harmless

Mood: activated

[*] posted on 17-1-2017 at 12:49
Chemglass hotplate controllers - "shorted" sensor

I have two of these plates made by Chemglass that work fine..... as long as the controller works. Well, yesterday the controller started throwing a code that tells me to replace the $150 temperature probe, it thinks it's shorted apparently.

I'm looking, but is there anyway to run these plates without the controller/temp probe? When I bought them, I only got one controller - sure would be nice if both plates would function w/out the (convenient when it works) temp controller.

Maybe I could attach a different thermo-couple? But then there's calibration issues I guess.

Any work-around suggestions welcome, I can afford the sensor, just feel like I could work fine w/out it, plus I'm not sure they'd give me the time of day without a corp. acct.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2017 at 18:19

If you say what the model number is, or include a link to the item, people might be able to help you. Without that, we can't help much.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2017 at 19:25

I have a couple Chemglass stirrer hotplates. On the back there is a round plug receptacle. As you look at it there are 5 "holes." Hole number 1 is in the 1 o'clock position. If you jumper holes 3 and 5 with a piece of wire you should be able to use the device as a normal stirrer-hotplate. When new, these units come with a "shorting plug" attached but these are usually lost along the way. I recently purchased one of these units as a "parts only" sale ($25) and with the jumper all worked fine. The stirrer will work without the jumper but the hotplate will not. Good luck.

AvB
Acuyo
Harmless

Mood: activated

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 10:06

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
If you say what the model number is, or include a link to the item, people might be able to help you. Without that, we can't help much.

There really aren't any markings on the plates and only "etc" on the controller. If there are model numbers (seems there would be, as these plates aren't identical), I've yet to find them.

Anyway it's a moot issue, as I found the jumpers inside what I thought were just covers for protection, so problem is manageable and now I have two plates working.

Thank you AvBaeyer!

Go To Top