Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Differences between PID controllers
Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning, Sorta.

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 09:21
Differences between PID controllers

I just got my PId controller in the mail, combined with a SSR and 400C thermocouple, I already bought a 1200C thermocouple, following the video by TAOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvBzlrlKl0

I have a different brand of PID controller, Berme, and it is a Rex C100.
It looks a bit empty on the inside, and the amount of terminals on the back is less than I see on other people their videos, it also says its rated for 400C, but Im not sure if that is with a thermocouple they provided or you can go higher if you calibrate it with your own one.

I hope I can still use this one for <1000C, for my foundry, otherwise I will have to wait 2 more weeks to get a different model from the chinese!

I hope some of you can help!
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 12:56

Me thinks you be boned. I have a similar unit (Rex C700), and it cannot be reprogrammed as far as I can tell. I also have a more advanced model (can't remember the model right now) that can be programmed to handle virtually any thermocouple there is. So they are available, at least they were a few years ago.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 13:19

Quote: Originally posted by Fulmen  
Me thinks you be boned. I have a similar unit (Rex C700), and it cannot be reprogrammed as far as I can tell. I also have a more advanced model (can't remember the model right now) that can be programmed to handle virtually any thermocouple there is. So they are available, at least they were a few years ago.

Its china, so I have to be careful, but it seems like a reputable seller so I`m going to test it with the other thermocouple since others have used other couples as well, with succes.

Its a very basic unit though, SSR output only, so that maybe is the reason for the "Minimalist" internals.

But yeah, I could have been boned, but my experience with these chinese sellers is that they will do ANYTHING for a 5 star review, so if I got boned, a refund is plausible.
But hey, whats 10 bucks?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 13:31

Fulmen, it may just be a password required,
here is a copy of the rex-cxxx programming sheet
see 6.2

Attachment: C100_400_700_900.pdf (843kB)
This file has been downloaded 387 times

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 14:05

Well, I was given a spec sheet, in chinese of course, and saw something say 999C, google translate translated it to Upper limit set, do I think I'm.good.

I hope its pcb is so minimalistic is because it has been designed specifically for use with an SSR and thermocouple, all of the other ports which are not used by a SSR setup are not present.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 14:35

The rex-c100fk02-m*an( iirc was few years back)i purchased was easy to reprogram. Easy to rewire and easy to use :) it said it was the kind to use the included SSR, but was an internal relay model. So using the trigger voltage for internal relay to trigger the external SSR worked just fine. When life gives you lemons, get out the soldering station.

The seller wanted me to pay return shipping, in exchange for the return. And had posted a "returns fine, buyer pays return shipping", but I countered with "not as listed" so his statement was invalid. I shoupdn't have to shoulder ANY cost for receiving the wrong product, or returning it.

Think in the end pretty sure got a partial refund and kept the PID. Or I could be recalling wrong. Still have the thing, and it still works fine though.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 19:14

I bought a PID controller just two months ago, and promptly discarded it due to how quickly it broke. Honestly, I just wrote a PID program on my Arduino last week, and it worked much better. $9 for all materials, and no annoying documentation.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 19:54

This is the one that I have, and it's pure awesomeness in a black box.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&...

SYL1.jpg - 28kB

It's a ramp-soak controller, so it can be programmed with different temperature profiles for ramp up and down, and soak. This type of controller is almost necessary for many types of kiln work. With a normal PID controller, it's necessary to control the ramping manually. They do offer the normal variety, for roughly half the cost of the ramp/soak option. Of course neither of them are $10, so that is a drawback...

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 11:08

Go To Top