Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plastic labels on soda bottles - what type of plastic is it?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2017 at 22:35
Plastic labels on soda bottles - what type of plastic is it?

I was reading a couple threads on PET to Terephthalic acid conversion and was wondering if the labels mattered and whether they were made of the same material. It seems that both Coca Cola and Pepsi Co and Seagrams use the same label material on their bottles, IDK about the rest of the soda companies. For the most part the labels come off pretty easily but where they are glued to the bottle some of it remains and is a white material.

I've heard it is the same material as the bottle, some say it is PVC and others say it is corn based..

Anyone have insight on this?
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 03:31

It must be something else probably PE based.

The PET bottles must be transparent to be recyclable...any other color or plastic would ruin the quality of the recycled PET for drink bottle/food use.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2017 at 05:43

As an aside on recycling PETE, yesterday I noticed the black plastic "Cascades" container my brown cremini mushrooms came in reads on the bottom "Content au minimun 80% de PETE recycle" and "Made with a minimum of recycled PETE." And it has the PETE 1 recycling symbol/triangle on it.
https://www.greenerpackage.com/recycled_content/new_mushroom...
"UltratillTM is made of low-density PETE (LDPETE) that contains 80% recycled post-consumer material."
https://www.solidwaste.com/doc/cascades-ultratill-a-new-gene...

[Edited on 17-2-2017 by Morgan]

Go To Top