Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Red Phosphorus (legal uses)
Dabbler
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 03:08
Red Phosphorus (legal uses)

I spotted a 500g package of red phosphorous for about $20 at a local store, and bought it figuring that this was a one-off chance.

Other than selling it or making illegal drugs, is there anything interesting I can do with it?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 03:45

Plenty.

Sounds like you need to do a bunch of reading before you open the packet though.
I am probably not experienced enough with red P to guide you through all of the possibilities. But there are tons of OC synths. There are some interesting (and dangerous) halides that also have their uses. Plenty of uses in energetics. You can make white P or even have a crack at other allotropes. It is a versatile reducing agent for all sorts of things. The sky is the limit. You may as well ask if there is anything interesting that can be done with iron.

No one is going to give you much help with this question until they know what your interests and experience is and what equipment you have available. A few hours on YouTube might help solidify those ideas for you. Recommended start point is chemplayer, NileRed and Doug's lab. (You might possibly find some interesting stuff with rogereymaw too. He made white P and has an interest in fireworks.)
Dabbler
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 04:06

Thanks!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 04:18

There was an older use of red phosphorus for cleaning gemstones if I am not mistaken. It had been some time since I looked into it but I was trying to find other applications.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 04:23

Burn some !

It's not really an experiment but:
- You probably havent seen phosphorus burning yet. It's not really impressive, but it's different and therefore interesting
- Just burn a teaspoon. The amount of "smoke" (P205) is quite impressive even with a tiny amount of Phosphorus.

And if I'd were you I'd avoid Armstrong mixture ;)
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 05:18

These days, phosphorus is rarely used to make illegal drugs. Ephedrine is no longer as freely as available as it once was, and the rise of the so-called "shake and bake" method of producing methamphetamine has all but eliminated what little use remained of elemental phosphorus in the illegal drug trade. While unlicensed phosphorus trade in the USA is illegal, I'd be willing to bet that well in excess of 90% of the uses to which illegally-obtained phosphorus is put are otherwise entirely lawful.

You can use it to make halogenating compounds for creating acyl halides from carboxylic acids and alkyl halides from alcohols.

It's used in a lot of pyrotechnic mixtures, including ones used to make matches and flares.

It can also be used to make powerful drying agents and some acids.

It's a reducing agent.

It can be used to make organophosphorus compounds.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 06:49

Link to my video on making phosphorus tribromide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVZRTJy6Ds

It's a very useful reagent in OC, since it can be used to make acyl bromides, and to make alkyl bromides that are more difficult to make via a simple NaBr/H2SO4 SN2, among other uses.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-2-2017 at 06:49
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 07:55

What local store...? I take it you don't live in the U.S. or Western Europe given how fishy that would be.
Db33
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2017 at 14:05

i was wondering the same as Amos, what in the world kind of store is that?
Dabbler
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2017 at 19:34

Sorry. In Asia, not in USA. The store sells mostly cleaning supplies and the owner speaks no English (but is happy with chemical formula).
I think he is a chemistry fan and often stocks single bottles of random analytical reagents.

Go To Top