Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for MMO electrode suppliers
volkchemie
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 08:22
Looking for MMO electrode suppliers

I've been searching for some MMO electrodes recently but it feels like the supply of MMO dried out.

Some websites that used to supply MMO's indicate that it's out of stock and seem to only sell titanium electrodes now (including eBay).

Can tell me if there is a good (and at a fair price) MMO supplier in the forum or outside that can also weld titanium electrodes like theamateurchemist store? If not just the MMO electrode?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 17:02

I'm not sure what you're trying to find. "MMO" these days refers mainly to the words "massively multiplayer online (video game)", and "MMO" isn't specific to the metals that are being used anyway, so maybe to avoid confusion, they're referring to them as "platinized titanium" or something to that effect? There are lots of platinized titanium electrodes on eBay, mostly for rhodium-plating jewelry. I have one even. Assuming the wikipedia page is accurate, what specifically are you looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_metal_oxide_electrode
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 19:20

I could sell you a piece of iridium/ruthenium MMO. What dimensions are you looking for? I could try to weld a Ti electrode to it but no promises.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 28-2-2017 at 21:52

It works pretty easy to tack it on with MOT spotwelder. gr #2 plate onto MMO mesh and #2 wire onto the plate. But Iv'e also done the wire only to mesh, both work.just fine. Don't heat too long though, it will pop into a shower of white sparks.

I was also thinking about stocking up again. Not needed for anything in particular, but I.bought a few sheets before and only have one not chopped up. Be nice to ensure I could play with the material for a while to come.

volkchemie
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-3-2017 at 19:54

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
I could sell you a piece of iridium/ruthenium MMO. What dimensions are you looking for? I could try to weld a Ti electrode to it but no promises.

Are your electrodes cut from a stock piece? If so, what is the base-metal of the electrodes that the iridium/ruthenium is coated on? I'm worried about exposure to non-coated sides with whatever it was plated on. As for the dimension, 3" by 6" is optimal.

*On a side note, exactly how good is titanium at withstanding chlorate cells? I've heard they quickly develop a protective titanium oxide layer*

I contacted The Amateur Chemist and they told me that they are waiting on a shipment of their 2" by 6" Iridium/Ruthenium Oxide electrodes that should be here next week.

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
I'm not sure what you're trying to find. "MMO" these days refers mainly to the words "massively multiplayer online (video game)", and "MMO" isn't specific to the metals that are being used anyway, so maybe to avoid confusion, they're referring to them as "platinized titanium" or something to that effect? There are lots of platinized titanium electrodes on eBay, mostly for rhodium-plating jewelry. I have one even. Assuming the wikipedia page is accurate, what specifically are you looking for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_metal_oxide_electrode

I was mostly referring to the fairly typical iridium/ruthenium oxide coating. I guess I should've mentioned exactly what coating it was.
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 17:09

"Same deal as before, 6-3/4"x10" are $30 each and $6 shipping up to 8 pieces.
I sometimes still list on eBay, but usually people just contact me the way you do, you can give my email address to anyone interested.
Jeff"

jmcdonald1967@gmail.com

Laserred guy from ebay, good stuff. I got it before and was happy with the product. Sent out a couple pieces for secret santa, after I stuck a Ti strip an wire on there. Hope yall find these as nice as I did.

Edit, it is kinda more of a bulk thing not piece ready to go. Too large to use as is @ 10" x 6.75". Ti mesh isn't particularly easy to cut by hand. But I use brute force and shears from harbor freight. So deff take that into consideration when sourcing MMO. If some one offers to cut you a piece, and offers a decent price take it. Not everyone works construction, or has tools, or trusty with power tools.

[Edited on 3-3-2017 by violet sin]

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 05:00

Wow you used a MOT to weld it? That's pretty clever, I think I might have to do that as well because my MIG is a splash too much juice, no amount of time is short enough to tack anything since its already in the gas phase.
What was your rod/wire made of? Can the anode operate with the weld submerged?
Titainium is the base, it's basically a given on MMO, especially iridium'ruthenium oxide anodes. It's resistance and conductivity make it the only cheap substrate that works at all.

I have some platinum foil as well, is it worth plating the electrode to or should just buy one?
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 08:07

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MMO-coated-expanded-titanium-mesh-an...

Laserred is back
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 16:23

I just saw a listing of 6 1"x10" strips on eBay for like $20 with free shipping and grabbed them. Turns out it's the same guy you all have dealt with. Good to know. I wanted to try and do a chloralkali cell using a low-mp mercury-free alloy instead of mercury, just to see how feasible it is. The main issue I foresee is the fact that alkali hydroxides tend to react with gallium similar to aluminum. But maybe under the right conditions, it'd be possible to reduce the gallium back to metal, via the alkali metal? I suppose that's what experimentation is for.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-5-2017 at 01:17
USA MMO Electrodes on eBay 6 for $20

I just came across eBay item# 352067522604 that may interest some here,
Lot of 6 pieces MMO coated expanded titanium mesh anodes - 1" x 10", used.
$20 inc. p&p if in USA (stupid postal charges tp UK)

I guess that a good used mmo electrode will probably be better than a first-try diy one.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
26-5-2017 at 18:50
donalderrand8
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 04:00

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
I just saw a listing of 6 1"x10" strips on eBay for like $20 with free shipping and grabbed them. Turns out it's the same guy you all have dealt with. Good to know. I wanted to try and do a chloralkali cell using a low-mp mercury-free alloy instead of mercury, just to see how feasible it is. The main issue I foresee is the fact that alkali hydroxides tend to react with gallium similar to aluminum. But maybe under the right conditions, it'd be possible to reduce the gallium back to metal, via the alkali metal? I suppose that's what experimentation is for.

Yeah. I've also got some from him. Charges few extra but totally worth it.

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 20-9-2017 at 12:37

Try WaterStar.

They make good product.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2017 at 20:13

To my great chagrin, the ebay link is,indeed, out of stock. I was looking to purchase a pair myself, though I too need a strip it titanium welded for a electrode tab..
Would directly contacting Laserred be worth the try? I'm not sure if he has any fresh anodes right now.

Is Waterstar amateur/ Uni student friendly?

[Edited on 23-9-2017 by Funkerman23]

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 25-9-2017 at 10:47

I'm not sure if they're friendly. I just know that they make those products.

http://www.waterstarinc.com/am-en/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?...

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 26-9-2017 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
Wow you used a MOT to weld it?

Note that a plain MOT will often not do the trick (although it does nicely vaporize copper). I'm not sure of violet sin''s exact method, and they can correct me on this, but people generally rewire the secondary coil to up the amperage for spot welding.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 18:45

A bit of a dead thread I know, but it seemed the best place to ask this.
Has anyone purchase electrodes from the ebay seller Gallium_Guy?
If so, how have they performed?
The price seems reasonable to me.
Here is their ebay site https://www.ebay.com/usr/gallium_guy
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2020 at 21:01

Necro answer to @ CRUSTY and Zyklon-A ... From 2017.
The MOT was definitely rewound to 1.5 turns on the secondary. Thick romex 3+ 1 copper house wire, both ends head out same side of the core. It does tack Ti nicely, if you time it right, it even refuses to explode brilliant white sparks in your face and everywhere around you. With a little practice you can quickly perform a number spot welds.

We could ask my secret Santa recipient from a few years back to see if they tacked well enough. Tdep got a pair in 2016 exchange. In fact I'd be interested to know myself.

@ B(a)P
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your seller, haven't dealt with anyone other than the link I posted above, and years ago at that. The prices don't look bad, but I've not checked for any elsewhere either. Do let people know how those electrodes work for you so the thread can have any kind of a second life instead of a corpse dance. If old sellers are no good, new routs should be introduced.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 22:16

My electrodes finally showed up and appear to be as described. I have given them a trial run for about 24 hours and they have made a nice little batch of potassium chlorate with no visible damage.
Whathappensif
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-7-2020 at 22:45

http://www.bjchangli.com.cn/

Friend bought PbO2 electrodes from them a year ago. He's been using their electrodes regularly. Can confirm they are both of good quality and a fair price.

Their price was around 500mm^2 per dollar, although he bought a large setup. If you order a small electrode area the area you get per dollar will go down.

[Edited on 13-7-2020 by Whathappensif]
Benignium
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quasi-catatonic

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 00:53

I bought my MMO and platinum anodes off Ebay, from this guy Gabriel.

The MMO quality I can already vouch for from experience. I'm currently testing the platinum anode for going from chloride straight to perchlorate.

draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2020 at 03:35

Quote: Originally posted by volkchemie  
I've been searching for some MMO electrodes recently but it feels like the supply of MMO dried out.

Some websites that used to supply MMO's indicate that it's out of stock and seem to only sell titanium electrodes now (including eBay).

Can tell me if there is a good (and at a fair price) MMO supplier in the forum or outside that can also weld titanium electrodes like theamateurchemist store? If not just the MMO electrode?

I think in some nurdrage videos he mentions where to get some mixed metal oxide electrodes

Go To Top