Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whats wrong in this reaction? It cant be so easy! (Ca(ClO3)2 from Ca(ClO)2)
ficolas
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 14:16
Whats wrong in this reaction? It cant be so easy! (Ca(ClO3)2 from Ca(ClO)2)

Is it possible to decompose calcium hipochlorite to calcium chlorate, then dissolve the calcium chloride in cold water, to have an easy source of chloride for kewling?
There has to be something wrong with this, as calcium hipochlorite is pretty easy to get from pool tablets, and I havent found anything online about this.
Can calcium chlorate be used as an oxidant in flash powders like sodium chlorate? Is it easy to decompose with heat? Can it produce chlorine somehow, making it dangerous?

[Edited on 23-2-2017 by ficolas]
gluon47
Hazard to Self

Mood: fluorinated and dying

[*] posted on 23-2-2017 at 22:36

Boiling a solution of calcium hypochlorite for a long period of time does indeed decompose it to calcium chlorate and chloride.

3 Ca(ClO)2 ==> Ca(ClO3)2 + 2 CaCl2

Calcium chlorate does work in flash powders, however it is very hygroscopic and therefore hard to use and deal with. Calcium chlorates thermal decomposition produces oxygen and calcium chloride, no chlorine.

Ca(ClO3)2 ==> CaCl2 + 3 O2

If you want to recover the chlorate you could add a solution of potassium chloride to your calcium chlorate/chloride solution to precipitate potassium chlorate. This is actually how most commercial potassium chlorate is made, with the calcium hypochlorite made in situ from calcium hydroxide and chlorine.

Nilered made a good video on the process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BIhHoj5GD4

[Edited on 24-2-2017 by gluon47]

reality is an illusion :D
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 24-2-2017 at 05:02

Before I made chlorate cells, years ago, it was the process I used to make potassium chlorate/perchlorate. After obtaining the potassium chlorate you can just melt it to make perchlorate and chloride, followed by a water leach.

I never asked for this.
ficolas
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2017 at 07:06

Thanks! The process does seem to be pretty easy, the problem making this not so easy is it being hygroscopic, and nos, the fact that the pool chemical I thought was Ca(ClO)2 is actually TCCA, and I cant seem find Ca(ClO)2 now...
At least I hace a TCCA soirce now

[Edited on 25-2-2017 by ficolas]

Go To Top