Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Overloading a 1/4 watt resister
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 07:03

I must respectfully disagree with the concept of NiChrome wire being difficult to solder. With the appropriate flux it happens to be as easy as anything else; I have had no trouble when someone showed me what to use. Zinc Chloride is the key. In the US there is a flux with the brand name "Ruby-Fluid" that is a pink thin solution. In Europe, it's simple to mix zinc chloride at a 10% solution. Applied to most clean metal surfaces; it's like soldering tinned copper!

In the USA "Ruby Fluid" is available at Ace hardware on occasion or in most all DIY electronic stores that are a bit above "Radio Shack". If you can find it, buy it up. It's not too expensive and works so well, you'll be surprised. If unavailable, make it up with water as the solvent at a 10% level.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 21:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Taaie-Neuskoek
I wouldn't like to thing about what would happen if my 55J cap bank would discharge itself over my hands...

I've done just that, and I can tell you it is quite painful, and you will end up with holes burnt in your fingers. This is an experience to be avoided. I count my self fortunate to be still alive.

Everyone playing with cap banks should put a small neon lamp (with series resistor) across the cap bank so you can see when it is 'hot'. A 100k permanently connected discharge resistor is also advisable.
A single charged photoflash cap holds enough energy to kill, if you are unlucky.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
GalFisk
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2007 at 00:35

Taaie-Neuskoek: I think a xenon flash tube can be used instead of a triggered spark gap, it's easy to trigger and has very low resistance when conducting.
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 22-6-2007 at 20:03

From my experience (I've goofed around in the lab while in an electronics class) I'll share my observations.

If you exceed the rated power by too much (say, an order of magnitude and then some) the resistor won't even get very warm before the film burns open. The epoxy coating will probably protect anything outside of the component from ignition.

If you aim at the rated power level, you'll probably never get to ignition temperatures.

In the middle ground between rated power and guaranteed to vaporize the film without comment, you can probably get low (dull red) ignition temperatures but there will be an unpredictable delay. Also some resistances will work better than others due to the construction- the film is deposited and then laser etched away until the resistor is within the tolerance for the target resistance. Thicker films with less removed will work better.
DoomsDavid
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 10:47
Interesting info on a Slapper Detonator and Explosive Sensitivity Analysis

Check this out

http://neyersoftware.com/Papers/AIAA99/BlueChipDetonator.htm

and while we're at it ....

http://neyersoftware.com/Papers/Analysis/SensitivityAnalysis...

[Edited on 8-8-2007 by DoomsDavid]

\"I Never Came Upon Any of My Discoveries Through the Process of Rational Thinking\"
- Albert Einstein
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 16:47

Good link. Fairly well written analysis and excellent analytical comparisons for a commercial piece. Barry Neyer may be getting come contracts. THATS the way a good presentation piece is written. Concise, easy to understand charting, etc. It's actually worth keeping as a guide for those who are attempting to get govt. contracts, grants,or attempting to get a promotion. I liked it even though slappers have been around for a long time, the presentation is valuable.

A cautionary note however - aerospace engineering is a tough field...one day you're working, the next you fighting 3 other firms for pennies.....

[Edited on 8-8-2007 by quicksilver]
DoomsDavid
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 09:18

I recently ran across a reference to Slapper Detonators in Chuck Hansons "Secret History of U.S. Nuclear Weapons"

According to Hanson, U.S. Nukes (2nd and poss. 3rd generation) Used Slappers, because even with Krytron ignition, and exactly similar cable length for each, there can be differences of up several milliseconds in the simultaneous detonation of multiple bridgewire dets.
For a nuclear weapon, seveal milliseconds is a tremendous amount of time.
Slapper dets have far more reliable timing.
I'm not sure if they are also more efficient with the Insensitive High Explosive used for primary compression.
(as far as I know, it is TATB
1,3,5 TriAmino-2,4,6 TriNitroBenzene)

As for what detonators are currently used... ?????

I had an interesting link to TATB info from Los Alamos, but it looks like it they pulled it.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003insensitive/sanderson.pdf

Detonation waves in triaminotrinitrobenzene
http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=n...

Don't mean to rant, Sorry if this is off topic.

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by DoomsDavid]

\"I Never Came Upon Any of My Discoveries Through the Process of Rational Thinking\"
- Albert Einstein
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top