Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ridiculous ebay stuff
Waffles
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 02:35
ridiculous ebay stuff

I'm curious to see how fast this seller's stuff get's stripped off e-bay. (Not to mention the absolutely nuts prices)
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbrandonkuh...
Note the HF. There's something I've never seen up for auction!

In case its all gone relatively quickly, here's a list of what he's selling currently. Reminds one a bit of ExpeditedChemicals, no? ;)
-------
Glacial Acetic Acid (technical grade, 1 gallon)

Mercury Metal (elemental) 1 lb (454 gm)

Ammonium Nitrate (prilled) 5 lbs

Ammonium Nitrate (prilled) 25 lbs

Nitric Acid 70% Reagent 500mL

Nitric Acid 65% technical grade (1 gallon)

Acne Cure ( Natural Purifying Clay )

HydroFluoric Acid 1 gallon

Hydrochloric Acid 31.45% Technical Grade 1 gallon

Hydrochloric Acid 31.45% Technical Grade 500mL

Sulfuric Acid 93% electrolyte grade 500 mL

Ethanol (Absolute) Ethyl Alcohol 99% 1 gallon

Methanol 99% minimum purity 1 gallon

[Edited on 28-12-2006 by iamthewaffler]

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 05:19

Ebay is a good source of chemicals. Sometimes you find really nice things on eBay. This seller, however, is not among them. He only has 3 positive feedbacks and does not exist for a long time. But I have purchased many interesting chems (one of them being NbCl5, which is a very reactive and corrosive chem) from eBay, but I always check how long a seller exists and for the more risky chems I also want a seller to have at least 100 different positive feedbacks. That is an indication that it is more legit, otherwise it would have been removed from eBay long ago.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 06:41
Ridiculous

That's the best I can say about this seller's prices. Throw in the HAZMAT fee and it's worse.
Even the 25-LB bag of ammonium nitrate isn't a bargain. 50-LB bags of prills can be had for
a lot less. BTW, seeing the HF on there was a real eye opener. I wouldn't get with 10
feet of that shit !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 07:36

I am in total agreement with madhatter on this; throw in HAZMAT and it's a joke..however; if the seller does NOT ship according to DOT regs and it found (and it's very possible with some materials) the results are not worth the bargin. I am no lawyer but I would suspect that the seller would try to maintain anonyminity and you may be left with the fine.
Hydrofluoric Acid is simply a madman's material outside of a professional lab environment and if something should happen with any of the acids the results could be extremely bad-news. Hg is on every toxic list in the known world and the results from any spill could be astounding in it's complexity.
But another issue is - could you trust a seller on Ebay? For the most part, I have learned some very bitter lessons with collecting books. ....the hassel to get your $ back is a big one.
Plus with the run on chems due to CPSC ruling watch for chems to be all over Ebay in the next few years!

In another board (Crucible) a few people toyed with the idea of putting up a "BUY-SELL" FORUM! This seemed like a workable idea but never materialized. The buyer and seller would take FULL and complete responsibility for the transaction. At least in a forum like this one we speak the same language in terms of what technical grade or Reagent grade chemicals are. We would also know the law. On Ebay a few years back some people were selling List 1 chems....turned out to be a sting. Bad scene.

garryb
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 07:38

I completely agree with woelen (I do like your website by the way woelen). I have bought many chemicals via eBay, and have always been satisfied, but I would be very wary of a new seller (ie low feedback) who was selling "dangerous" or "contentious" items. I would however buy "uncontentious" items from a new seller - everyone is new to start!
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 10:58

FYI - This Brandon guy also posted something on ChemicalForums...

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=12040.0
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 12:05

All too expensive, not enough feed back. Mercury is twice is much as it should be with shipping!

I just buy glassware and metals off of ebay, never chemicals.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 15:58

BTW - This guy's webpage is here http://www.satutor.net/chemicals.htm
where he lists various things, some of which are on eBay.

His webpage also lists HI, which I thought was interesting.
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 21:52

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
In another board (Crucible) a few people toyed with the idea of putting up a "BUY-SELL" FORUM! This seemed like a workable idea but never materialized. The buyer and seller would take FULL and complete responsibility for the transaction. At least in a forum like this one we speak the same language in terms of what technical grade or Reagent grade chemicals are. We would also know the law. On Ebay a few years back some people were selling List 1 chems....turned out to be a sting. Bad scene.

Actually, it recently got implemented, but there isn't much traffic there at the moment. But hey, come on down (this is a shameless plug).
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top