Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My HHO generator
Booze
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 06:28
My HHO generator

Hello. Earlier today I visited my dad's hardware store and I wanted to build an oxygen/hydrogen generator. I am starting this topic because I did not see any right now.

So here is a list of parts I used:
- Gas valve, 1/4 fitting
- 2 foot long, 4" wide PVC pipe
- 2 caps that fit the pipe
- 31/62 drill bit
- Tin coated steel sheet metal
- 1/4 vinyl tube (3 feet)
- PVC glue

So I drilled a hole in the center of one of the caps and wedged the gas valve in it. I put 2 strips of the sheet metal in as my electrodes. Then I put the other cap on and filled it with water. Now I connected both of the strips to a car battery and oxygen/hydrogen is being produced at a steady rate.

I have filled up plastic bottles with hydrogen and lit it, but do any of you have ideas for what I could use it for chemistry wise?
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 06:32

Heat source, with a very good back flash preventer! and shielding of the generator. or burn the flame in a well cleaned vessel and make ultra pure water!
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 06:54

Collect through a tube into a small propane tank type vessel with a valve, that is sitting in an ice bath............. Contracts the gas

Attach the tube to a reaction flask, put your vessel in some boiling water and crack the valve............... Expands the gas

Low pressure hydrogenation

/CJ

[Edited on 21-3-2017 by Corrosive Joeseph]

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 07:37

Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  
Collect through a tube into a small propane tank type vessel with a valve, that is sitting in an ice bath............. Contracts the gas

Attach the tube to a reaction flask, put your vessel in some boiling water and crack the valve............... Expands the gas

/CJ

NO NO NO that is making a fuel air BOMB! he is not making pure hydrogen, he is making a perfect fuel oxidizer mixture! hence the HHO!

Very high risk way of making a fuel gass and the biggest scam for cars
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 07:53

Yes, I realized that that would explode. I just want things to do with a hydrogen/oxygen gas output.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 08:18

figured you'd figure it out I'm just disturbed otheres didn't pay attention and gave dangerous ideas!

Like I say we used to use those for field torches in a pinch, I been thing of using a simple one for fuel gas for my lab till I transition to full electric as I loath having to buy propane!
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 08:25

What could I use as a "torch" to burn the gasses, but the kind that when I light it it doesn't explode the electrolizer? I did not see any at my fathers store. And if i get it to burn like a torch, isn't it suppose to get SUPER hot? Like, hot enough to weld tungsten?

Either that, or corrosive joeseph was trying to make me create a bomb.
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 08:28

Yep, here is the video of Cody and his oxygen/hydrogen torch. Although his gasses are probably way purer than mine are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Ud_lX4MSY
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 08:39

he separated the gasses, I have built high pressure H2 o2 systems (300psig) when doing that you use driers and catalytic O2 scavengers on the gas stream going towards the compressor (So dry O2 free H2 for being compressed same for the oxygen but that requires special compressors)

When you do a non separated gas generation you have to triple up on safety precautions and such as flash backs lead to bangs see allot of the HHO shells go pop on you tube.

When we used them as gas gens for torchs we used 2 flash arresters in series and a bubblier as a third and the cells where never glued so they can separate easily.

All ways ask your self what will happen if this explodes then protect against it.

Look up a Hoffman electrolysis apparatus, that is what I made for generating my H2/O2 gas streams just scaled up using 2" pvc for the main tubes and 3/4" for the bridge and water/electrolyte inlet pressurized to 60psig via diaphragm pump.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hoffman+electrolysis+apparatu...

[Edited on 21-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 09:45

Do the electrodes have to be platinum? I could get some if I really wanted to, but I would rather not buy expensive platinum (or maybe I could extract some from the road dust like in a cody's lab video). What are the dangers of having a mixed gas system?
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 10:45

I used 316L stainless steel, they held up well enough.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 11:23

Here are my experiences with it:

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?4303-Oxyhydroge...

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 14:13

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Quote: Originally posted by Corrosive Joeseph  

/CJ

NO NO NO that is making a fuel air BOMB! he is not making pure hydrogen, he is making a perfect fuel oxidizer mixture! hence the HHO!

Very high risk way of making a fuel gass and the biggest scam for cars

Oh, NOW I see what he is at............ Doh...............!!
Please post some pics of your apparatus.............
This is interesting....................

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2017 at 14:52

Good ya see now ! I still have the spare electrode and one buffer tank I can take a picture, I was running that befor I embarked in the off grid life, some point will make another one but pricey! and I now own a home, amazing the amount of money they suck up!

but it looked just like the pics you find online

the difference was the bridge connected from the bottom of the main tubes, and the middle inlet was swedged down to 3/8 thread to the pump, the electrolyte tank was a 5g bucket

The take off was at the tops where 316L ss, there was a 2gal buffer tank (I used old ss fire extinguisher tanks) A float switch on the H2 side triggered the compression cycle. O2 was simply purged and it had a float and a solenoid and a flow restriction.

One switch started the cycle the other stopped it.

order of gas flow:
Cell > Coalescent drier > O2 Catalyst > Coalescent dryer > Chemical drier > Fridge compressor from a mini fridge> Gas to air Hx (Old condenser coil from an air con that been cleaned> Oil sep (Tempright 340 series, oil return was a small res and a small ball valve) > 40 pound propane tank.

Wasn't the fastest system in the world but did make usable fuel (Well that what I was using it for at the time)

I got the catylest at a scuba shop as they use it in the flash lights to prevent H2 build up from the rechargeable batteries. It recombines the H2 and )2 back to water at a cold temp.

So I filled up a tube with that and used some SS screens to hold it.

The first coalescent is to remove water mist from the cell, the second two are to remove any water formed by the catalyst (With good cell design should be next to 0%)

You want dry O2 free Hydrogen going in to the compressor and out to the tank

any further Q u2u it so we don't hijack his thread more then happy to help others build a system.

[Edited on 21-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]

Go To Top