Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best way to make dry ice
entheologist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 04:26
Best way to make dry ice

The best method I know of is using a CO2 fire extinguisher, you just discharge it into a pillow case or any other container that will hold it (without exploding, hence why a pillow case is good, it lets excess gas out), and you end up with dry ice. Whats good about this is you don't need to store the dry ice itself, you just need the fire extinguisher.

Is this the best method for producing dry ice? A small fire extinguisher costs about $90 here, and I don't know what the process of refilling them involves. Can cheaper CO2 cannisters be used to produce dry ice? I'm guessing you need a powerful discharge mechanism so fire extinguishers are pretty well suited for that.
Liamatpm
Harmless

Mood: Using the process of cellular respiration to stay (barely) alive

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 04:31

I don't know many very easy was to make dry ice. But I know ways to store it in. A cool way to contain CO2 would be put it in a large steel pipe with pipe ends and a valve. Then the CO2 will become a liquid and when you let some of the gas out it will become a solid. If you do this you have to already have some CO2 and the pressure will be extremely high. If you do that you will need to act very careful. You also want to get good piling that's need to be very strong. And I would only store it like that for a maximum of one month (if you are in a city then I'd keep it like that for a week maximum). There is a Cody's lab video on the subject.

Link to the video done by Cody's Lab:
https://youtu.be/rPxPyD5jSR4

[Edited on 23-3-2017 by Liamatpm]

[Edited on 24-3-2017 by Liamatpm]

Go look on my not very good (or accurate) YouTube channel. Link: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCH8ZTfvZcsKCGzZB1xhjMgg
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 06:00

You can buy or lease small or large cylinder's of CO2 and there is an adapter made special for making dry ice. This might be as cheap and killing a CO2 fire extinguisher, but will be usable more than once and cost effective for small amounts. You have to use the liquid outlet port rather than the gas outlet, by the way.

Or you can just buy dry ice at many grocery, ice cream, or fish stores that ship. It is used to ship cold good nearly everywhere in the world. Many weldingsupply/gas cylinder dealers also sell it.

I would be very careful in sealing CO2 in any pipe, this is a great way to hurt someone, also a great way to get arrested for making a weapon.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 23-3-2017 at 22:39

Take a look at regenerative cooling (Linde-process). Basically you expand gas too produce a pressure drop, then lead the cold gases back through a heat exchanger to cool the gasses before expansion. The heat exchanger can be made from two long tubes, one inside the other.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-3-2017 at 15:10

Bought some in Portland, recently... At the local Fred Meyer Supermarket.

Portland, suffers seasonal power failures during Fall and Winter.

Rain, Snow, Ice, High Winds, and falling trees.

Bingo! Power Gone.

This condition can last a week or more. Very bad for the contents of your refrigerator/freezer.

Stick a few pounds of dry ice in your freezer compartment, and it will maintain acceptably low temperatures for days.

Paid about a buck and a half a pound for the dry ice. 4lbs saved me hundreds of dollars, that would have been lost via melted and spoiled groceries.
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2017 at 21:06

There is 3 suppliers around my way who sell dry ice, lease N2 cylinders, O2 etc

Its VERY cost effective to use them. Have you checked your area or close by for places like that? I didn't know they were around until I went looking.

Go To Top