Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Goverment possibly tainting Hydrogen Perxoide to stop TATP, HMTD, DADP, MEKP.
CalAm
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 30-3-2017 at 10:45
Goverment possibly tainting Hydrogen Perxoide to stop TATP, HMTD, DADP, MEKP.

I was looking around on the web for food grade hydrogen peroxide and stumbled upon a pdf file from:

http://www.northeastern.edu/alert/assets/F1_p5_Oxley_Smith_3...

Talking about adding GRAS (Generally regarded as safe) chemicals to commercial hydrogen peroxide's so that if it is heated to concentrate it or added to acetone it will decompose the HP or affect the yield and purity of the product. They seem to be targeting TATP mainly but do talk of others (HMTD, DADP, MEKP). I wonder if this has already been effecting some of the users here ?

I know some people have conflicts on how friction sensitive their TATP is and have had it detonate while drying or even looking at it wrongly. While others say it takes a fair few good wacks with a hammer to set it off ?

Anyway if anyone has any idea as to what chemicals they might be adding to the HP to have this kind of outcome it would be interesting to know, and maybe run some tests on HP that has been concentrated from 3% and maybe lab supplied HP of 35% ?

EDIT:

I have found more pdf files talking about the additives that could be used. And that they had used Oxy-Boost to make TATP previously. :o

http://www.northeastern.edu/alert/assets/F1-A1_2012.pdf

a. Sodium peroxoborate
b. Peroxosulfuric acids
c. Peroxophosphoric acids and their salts

3. Hydrogen Peroxide Additions
Percarbonates
Urea peroxohydrate

[Edited on 30-3-2017 by CalAm]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 10:56

Aw why can't the gubbermint mind its own damn biziness.

There are some published papers on the subject cited in that presentation. I am sure at least some of them would say what the tested additives are.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to make TATP... assuming you can get or make some nitric acid, you can make better explosives, or at least you can make ones that are easier to handle.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 11:02

Ah another useless do nothing but feel good venture to waste more money and drive costs up. When will the nany statismists learn all they do is make the ones who want to do harm simply switch to vehicles and for those of use who don't just makes us take one more purifying step! Plus annoyance at the utter uselessness of such things.

@ JJ atm I use HMTD for the first stage of my blasting caps, but once I get more gear and some chemicals will make azides as it is indeed far superior and need much less to make a reliable cap.

[Edited on 30-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]
CalAm
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 11:05

Well it looks like they are trying to collect all the peroxide formers used for TATP and make a database for shops or police to look out for:

( The work specific to TATP synthesis is expected to be transitioned directly to the DHS and first responders.
The goal is to produce a database of known peroxide formers which can be used for TATP or other peroxide
based explosives synthesis. We have shared some of these new synthetic pathways with local first responders and are even performing training with the local bomb squads on both large scale explosives and small
scale synthesis )

But what you said is true, once you have KNO3 or Ammonium nitrate and sulfuric acid you really don't have any need for peroxide based comps. I guess someone has to round up all the kewl's though ? ;)
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 12:31

How hard is it to get barium these days? Barium peroxide isn't too dangerous, right?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 13:30

I'd say this is actually a good measure. No legitimate amateur chemist should want to make acetone peroxide... Concentrating 3% peroxide is very inefficient anyway. It'll still be possible to buy more concentrated peroxide, e.g. the pool cleaning type, which is already adulterated with stabilizers anyway (though said stabilizers haven't given me any problems when using it in the past for stuff like isolating bromine).

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
CalAm
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 14:24

I just hope they can find a way to filter and remove all of those TATP video's off of youtube as i have seen in the side bar 50g and 500g videos advertised, and wonder how people can be so ignorant of such a dangerous explosive and handle such quantity's with such carelessness .
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 15:37

H2O2 can be made from BaO2 or CaO2 and H2SO4.
BaO2 and CaO2 can be made from CaO and BaO...good luck for the governement to stop those.

Also I'm ROFLOL when I read the provided study and your title "tainting Hydrogen Perxoide (PEROXIDE btw) to stop TATP, HMTD, DADP, MEKP"...do you really think terrorist do care that the CTAP being blue, green, yellow or white/colourless as it should be?

All the adulterants proposed into the first link are easily extracted from aceton by simple evaporation condensation...some can't be used into H2O2 because they would cause immediate decomposition.

Any chemist skilled into its art would circumvent all governement efforts to preclude use of H2O2/aceton to make CTAP.
Also stopping terrorist to play with H2O2/aceton (easily tracked from buying place, not powerful and sometimes lethal to the makers...so making part of the anti-terrorism work) will drive terrorists to safer/more powerful and easily accessible semtex or C4 (available from neightbourgs countries onto the black market...and it is proven that such terrorist organisation have a lot of money).

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
CalAm
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 18:32

I do not think any terrorist would care if their explosives came out violet or aqua blue, but i was interested to hear what SM members had to say about it and to let them know that using store bought H202 for a quick det cap or experimenting with peroxides would be interested to know that the government is trying to find ways to taint public sources of H202 just in case it is used for any wrong doing.

But yes i do agree if it does come down to it H202 is quiet easy to synth and it really is just throwing money into the wind to even bother funding this kind of research.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 18:35

Terrorists have learned bombs are crappy at making mass casualties hence the rise of them using Vehicles, lets ban CARS!

I make MEKP, as it is used to kick off fiberglass hardening, ironically it is easier to just make off a batch as it is cheaper then me driving to buy more of it from the fiber glass shop!

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/polyester_res...

That and I'm lazy I do enough driving for work!
CalAm
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 18:52

Yup, i saw just recently that terrorists are now starting to weaponize the new phantom drone's to drop mortar shells on vehicles and groups of soldiers. The government always seems to be 1 step behind them and usually when they pass a law to prevent what has happened previously it affects a whole lot of innocent workers and businesses and promotes chemphobia.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 18:57

I all ways tell people it is to take away their rights for their safety, after all the criminals and terrorists ALL WAYS follow the rules after all! <_<

He who will trade rights for safety, shall gain neither and lose both!

but the gullible sheeple happily oblige, they forget it is the shepherds job to keep them safe, till he is ready to slaughter them! One of the symptoms of the droves of SJW's we have too, the dumbing down and pussyfying of society, only thing that scares them to death is the idea of personal responsibility!

Nope they all seem to beg big brother to take away more of their freedoms and to coddle them more.

It disgusts me honestly, both what the government does and how happy the people apload them while they do it!

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 30-3-2017 at 22:00

Sheeple already lost their rights and they don't want to get them back, because cattle does not want to have responsibility, I see no way for it to change in the nearest 5 years. If you are not agree then you can just accept and maybe make your own paddock. And, surely, you can write angry comments, though it won't change anything.

PS: aren't those contaminations lead to faster decomposition of hydrogen peroxide? I don't believe then completely stop working when the solution is cold.
PPS: and I see no problem with concentration of 3% peroxide. Surely, I suppose you use vacuum and some kind of a simple distillation column.

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by byko3y]
Uriel
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2017 at 10:55

I've already synthesized a quite big quantity of TATP with Peroxosulfuric acid without catalyst because it was already in acid medium.
Only Acetone and Peroxosulfuric acid. But, I prefer H2O2, crystals are more tapered.

By the way, you have an idea of video of 500g of TATP ?

[Edited on 31-3-2017 by Uriel]
CalAm
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 03:24

900g - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC79isLbZ34

500g tatp plastic so (460g) - https://youtu.be/3Z9wG9XbW2k
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 05:55

Ah natural selection in progress seeing allot of those videos, idiots like that make all us into DIY blasting look like fools <_<

People ask why we can't enjoy good things? Becuase of ignorant Kwels like those!
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 10:35

The problem with adding decomposition agents to hydrogen peroxide, is that it sits on a shelf.
The problem with stabilizers is they can be removed by vacuum distillation or freezing.
If you need high purity 90% or more vacuum distillation is the only way to go.
Uriel
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 13:34

Happy to see that you are sharing my old video !!
"idiots like that" thank you for me Xeon but you can note that the only reason that I published this video is for saving fingers of some teenagers by explain a way to stabilise TATP with oil. It is a philosophical question but I think that publish a way to improve stability is a good thing.
If TATP has not as well knonw, I whould not have done this.

It is possible to electrolyse H2SO4 to make H2O2, they are olds patent from the early 20th century : US 916900 A http://www.google.com/patents/US916900

So H2O2 is not very difficult to synthesize.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 20:14

I stand by my statement, it doesn't save any one, just encourages the too dim to live types to do it more!

You're lucky you lived to complain at how others view some one messing with a large quantity of a less then stable compound!

Thank what ever mythology you ascribe to that nothing went wrong as well. As others where not so fortunate!
CalAm
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 23:35

Quote: Originally posted by Uriel  
Happy to see that you are sharing my old video !!
"idiots like that" thank you for me Xeon but you can note that the only reason that I published this video is for saving fingers of some teenagers by explain a way to stabilise TATP with oil. It is a philosophical question but I think that publish a way to improve stability is a good thing.
If TATP has not as well knonw, I whould not have done this.

It is possible to electrolyse H2SO4 to make H2O2, they are olds patent from the early 20th century : US 916900 A http://www.google.com/patents/US916900

So H2O2 is not very difficult to synthesize.

I can see where you are coming from and you did have good intentions when publishing this video. It is just i hate to see the people using TATP like in the 900g video, seeing so much TATP being handled at once shocks me either way :o.

When you made all of that did you do smaller reactions or all at once to yield the 480g ?

Edit: And it is nice to see you still posting and meeting you on Science madness, seems like a small world.

[Edited on 2-4-2017 by CalAm]
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 2-4-2017 at 01:10

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
H2O2 can be made from BaO2 or CaO2 and H2SO4.
BaO2 and CaO2 can be made from CaO and BaO...good luck for the governement to stop those.

H2O2 is very hard to synthesis !
using N2O2 or other things is really very dangerous process ! it can blast in the middle !

of course there are other routes. you can buy H2O2 3% from the pharmacy and concentrate it.
Uriel
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 13:23

Yes CalAm, I agree, the video of 900g TATP is probably one of stupid teenagers.
(Not sure of 900g however).

It is difficult to say. I have recovered an old stock of 6 years old made in three or four time. But I synthesized 750g in one time, many years ago, with peroxosulfuric acid.

Lot of grumpers about TATP probably haven't tried to ignite large amount, like 200g and see that it burn, and don't explode, even in plastic bag (when ignite by flame).
So when I've made large amounts, when I was much younger, I only keep TATP in large open containers during manipulation. In this way, I would be burned rather than killed !!! (But if a choc or friction occurs, I'm not sure !)

(I see that TATP is more chemically stable that people think, because after one decade, crystals seem not have change of colour or smelling in air. In water, cristals became biger and ... More rectangular ! I guess that in good conditions, TATP can be stored 40 years. But it is a really bad idea, vulnerable people like childrens can potentially fall on them.)

But I agree that it is really harmful that many people made this without enough information on security and chemistry. In my country, recently, some teenagers of 14 to 16 years olds died with this (in a room, surpression I guess). So sad.

"seems like a small world" !! Yes I can see that too !!

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 14:25

Stop propagating/spreading false safety informations please...

I know of a case here in Brussel where the police lab fridge containing a bottle of TATP crystals into water exploded while undisturbed during weekend night --> only material destroyed and no injuries.

TATP /CTAP; HMTD or other peroxides are inherently unstable and may burn if wet or dispersed crystals and unconfined ...
But those crystals are sublimable and tends to recrystalize into larger crystals which are prone to D2D transition and then become very sensitive to friction, shock or even crystal lattice stress due to some errors into the molecular stacking --> So spontaneous detonation may occure due to own weight amount of new crystals and the intrinsic self confinement of those larger crystals.

Perfect crystals will be OK but devil lies into the imperfect ones that randomly occure.

None of those peroxides are advisable to store or to make in larger amount than 5g; any solid container should be avoided in case of explosion.

I have found a special crystalization method that allows for very large crystals (1-3 cm) but since it is very dangerous material I will not expose this here to avoid injuries of people stupid enough to believe that CTAP or organic peroxides are stable and fun to play with.

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 14:40

Organic peroxides, very much like menstrual jokes, are not a good idea......period!

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by markx  
Organic peroxides, very much like menstrual jokes, are not a good idea......period!

Hahahaha
Beware to Markx when he has the bad mood of a woman during its periods...

Menstrual <--> Periods :D;):P:)

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top