Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strange KMnO4 reaction ?
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 06:35
Strange KMnO4 reaction ?

Hello folks, just a quick question that puzzles me.
Recently I was doing a sodium zincate(Na2Zn[OH]4) synthesis from ZnO and NaOH pellets (both are of unknown purity, brought from some lab) and all went well leaving completely clear water solution on heating. I added NaOH gradually to ZnO/water suspension on heating and stirring after everything dissolves to prevent too much hydroxide usage. After I got a clear solution I added a single crystal of KMnO4 to this about 30ml of solution, it sunk and started to dissolve leaving pink colored tails if you are familiar. Don't ask me why I needed some manganese there - I'm trying to make ZnS/Mn phosphore, that's an other story.
Now what went WRONG is this: instead of getting pink solution I got a bluish-grey one - perhaps something is reducing permanganate to manganate ? But isn't manganate green ? It was reacting quickly because pink tails which permanganate leaves were fading quickly on stirring. In the end I got 30ml of solution almost blue and this just from a single of KMnO4 !
As far as I know zinc normally doesn't have oxidation states higher than +2, which is already the zincate! Now, what is the reducing agent then ? Also what blue color manganese compound/oxidation state is possible ?
Thanks, you can try to replicate, interesting to know.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 07:20

Mn(V) is blue.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
papaya
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 11:56

Hm, interesting, but how ?
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 09:26

Sodium zincate, as a salt of a strong base and a very weak acid, is strongly basic. Strongly basic conditions stabilize the manganate and hypomanganate ions (VI and V respectively), and permanganate gets reduced to manganate and hypomanganate. Usually you get manganate, but sometimes, in very basic solutions, hypomanganate is achievable as well.

OH- is usually the reducing agent, it is oxidized to O<sub>2</sub>. But if ZnO is of unknown purity as you say, any goddamn thing can be in there and act as a reducer.

Smells like ammonia....
papaya
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 14:08

Thanks for the response, I hoped that "goddamn" thing you mentioned might be quite known among this audience :D
What I mean is the most "popular" friend of zinc - cadmium ? arsenic ?? What if water gets oxidized to oxygen, while zincate is a catalyst ? If someone could replicate...
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 22:24

Is this ZnO some form of consumer product? If so, it couldn't be arsenic or cadmium, this kind of toxic crap is almost never released to the public.

Smells like ammonia....
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-4-2017 at 00:27

At very high pH, permanganate does not need any reductor to be converted to manganate. Just as a test, take some NaOH and dissolve in water, make a fairly concentrated solution. Add a single crystal of KMnO4. Your solution will turn green/blue. This green/blue color is the color of manganate(VI). I doubt you get manganate(V). That stuff is purely blue, having no green hue. It is very unstable and quickly decomposes to manganase(IV). Have a look at this web page:

http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/solutions/mn.html

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top