Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storing Sodium Metal
MrMario
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 06:10
Storing Sodium Metal

Hello guys,

I recently picked up my chemistry hobby again and got some sodium in oil, but its slightly oxidation and the packaging is not good. I have Petroleum here at home and would like to store it under this. Is this a good idea or would it react with bonds?

It contains: C9-C11, n-alkanes, iso-alkanes, cylclic, <2% aromates. E.G. nr: 918-481-9

And how can I clean this stuff, suggestions are appreciated!
Liamatpm
Harmless

Mood: Using the process of cellular respiration to stay (barely) alive

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 07:54

What type of Petroleum is it? But I would get oxygen free mineral oil because that's would be the best way to store it. But normal mineral oils should work too.

Go look on my not very good (or accurate) YouTube channel. Link: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCH8ZTfvZcsKCGzZB1xhjMgg
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 08:11

Assuming 'Mineral Spirits' then definitely YES, that's what I'm using.

.put a little piece of freshly cut sodium in the storage jar with the fluid, shake, look for any significant reaction, probably very little.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 08:45

There will be some initial reaction in just about any liquid you choose to store it under, as it reacts with residual moisture in the solvent. So don't be alarmed if there is minor bubbling at first; just be sure to vent the jar periodically for the first few days to release the pressure. The suggestion to test a small piece with your fluid first is a good one.

I store mine under regular mineral oil and it's been fine for years. It develops a skin of hydroxide, but the bulk of it is intact and I just cut off the outer layer if I need to. To clean it, there are several procedures here and videos on YouTube that explain it. One way is to melt the sodium. The impurities will float to the top where they can be skimmed off, or you can use a (glass) syringe to transfer out the clean sodium from underneath.

Go To Top