Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Preserving Chemistry Channels
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

mad.gif posted on 10-5-2018 at 18:00
Both Dictatorial and Ineffective

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

This smacks of ignorant idiocy. Pyramethamine is a drug used to treat toxoplasmosis and used to be a treatment for malaria. It is not psychoactive and is not the kind of drug that could ever be abused.

But...But... making Methamphetamine is ungood, making pyrotechnics is plusungood, so making pyramethamine has to be doubleplusungood!

Seriously, though, I think that YT shuts down these videos via a combination of intention and accident. They use viewer feedback, automatic algorithms, and maybe some human judgement sometimes, in order to enforce their "community guidelines." Of the type of content they want to remove, what actually gets a strike seems very arbitrary. Some things might even be deemed acceptable to the people who come up with ideas on what to restrict, but their codes will weed it out nonetheless. Maybe the whole thing would make more sense if they stated specifically why something was deleted, but maybe not. It appears, at least on the surface, to be a very random, chaotic process, with a moderate predisposition for removing the type of channels which YouTube doesn't like. A video of people playing a sport, or cats doing silly things, might be less vulnerable to it than a video of someone building bombs or encouraging racist crimes, but all are at risk.

I strongly suspect that they give the biggest channels some immunity, so they can keep advertising. Or maybe, they have actual employees to administer strikes to channels with over say, a million subscribers. They wouldn't want their bots to accidentally scrap such a lucrative channel as King of Random, now would they?

Don't get me wrong, I think YouTube is unreasonable about what they want people to watch, and I am angry that they target science so harshly. If they try to restrict more and more subject matters, including science, then those subject matters will begin getting more and more strikes. Still, like lightning strikes, there will always be an element of chance to what gets hit and what gets spared.

Whatever the cause, it is outrageous for them to target this video in particular. As NurdRage himself said, it is actually safer than many of the videos on his channel. I really hope he can get the strike cleared, or at least not get any more.

Is it just me or has YT been extra hard on science channels the last year or so? I have been looking at these channels a bit more this last year, but I've always browsed them off and on. Maybe it's just selection bias, and it's been this bad for a while? If it is a trend, I hope it does not get any worse.

Glad people are archiving these channels.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 20:19

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

I believe that Nurdrage's entire offerings have been preserved by several members. It would be worth making contact with him to see if he would be agreeable to his work being uploaded here in the chance that his whole site goes down.

I got in touch asking if they were interested in uploading to the site I host. Their reply:

Quote:

If i should indeed get banned off youtube then i'll consider alternative uploads. I'm not too worried. Youtube has messed with me before. Strong chance this will blow over like always. But if doesn't, i'll certainly look into alternative sites.

12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 05:59

Just my contribution of chemistry channels that I am subscribed to:

Akhil the Chemist
AHW214
AMchemistry
NurdRage
ChemPracs
ChemExplorer Kim
The Canadian Chemist
toothpick993
Aussie Chemist
Texium
zhmapper
Tom's Lab
Smokin' Hot Science
ChemX
College Chemistry
Astral Chemistry
AllChemystery
Nation Of Our Hobbies
koen2all
Frankium
weiming1998
Rhodanide
The Chemical Workshop
sum_lab
Hazel Chem
eku_chem_lab
LuminolSynthesis
Matter Manipulation
Backyard Science
Nux,s Channel
Artisan-man
Dave Thomas
ChemistryDude
DrMarkForeman
Thoisoi2
ClemDeke
TheChemiKid
ProfessorDaveatYork
ChemToddler
ButteScience
ytmachx
TheHomeScientist
The Jeffrey 27
The Chemistry Shack
theChaotiChemist
Shiva Chemist
ReactionFactory
Random Experiments
MyLittleChemistryLab
Hegelrast
Gooferking Science
endimion17
elementguy27
EH Productions Videos
chemx01
chemistvip
ChemExperimentalist
chem2050
Chaoschemiker
Bunsen Burns
Modge
NightHawkInLight
TDC
Cody'sLab
Doug's Lab
Jose Alberto Aldana Osma
AlchemicalGarden
PieceOfScience
Extractions&Ire
Brain&Force
hkchem
NileRed
AppliedScience
mabakken
hkparker
myst32YT
mrhomescientist
UC235

I'll also add that I've transcribed and condensed the procedures for what I considered the best and biggest videos into a series of Word documents, which I am more than happy to post here if so desired. They are up to date as of today, but do not cover a few of the videos.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements
Total size: ~95 pages

[Edited on 11-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 08:56

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  

I'll also add that I've transcribed and condensed the procedures for what I considered the best and biggest videos into a series of Word documents, which I am more than happy to post here if so desired. They are up to date as of today, but do not cover a few of the videos.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements
Total size: ~95 pages

I would be interested in that.

12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2018 at 11:36

I have attached a Microsoft Word (.docx) and PDF (.pdf) version of the complete document, accurate as of 11th May 2018. Chemical structures/reactions were drawn in ChemDraw. I've also attached a much shorter document covering the processing of platinum, gallium, and mercury wastes as documented by NurdRage and NileRed.

Do tell me if I've made any mistakes!

Attachment: All - 11.05.2018.pdf (1MB)
This file has been downloaded 931 times

Attachment: All.docx (1.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 647 times

Attachment: Waste processing - 11.05.2018.pdf (87kB)
This file has been downloaded 501 times

Attachment: Waste processing.docx (15kB)
This file has been downloaded 444 times

[Edited on 11-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]
streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 04:03

Is anyone else going through and downloading all the channels posted by PirateDocBrown, Velzee, and 12thealchemist? I had started on the limited number of sites I knew but have now expanded to everything I can find. I've added a few extra channels covering electronics, engineering, physics etc. I'm currently 265G in and still have a way to go yet.

I'm using youtube-dl. Velzee has already posted a link. The full command I am using is:

youtube-dl --download-archive archive.txt --write-description --write-info-json --write-annotations --write-thumbnail --all-subs -f best <<channel_link>>

Is anyone doing anything about the comments? Usually they're worthless but for these channels there are going to be some gems.
SomeGoofball
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-5-2018 at 11:26
Another Good Channel

Applied Science is another great channel!!

I noticed that his channel hasn't been mentioned much here.

I don't think his channel is in any risk of being pulled by YT, but he makes great, notable content.

(I am not Applied Science :D)
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 01:03
Updated compilation of YouTube videos

I've gone through again and expanded the document I uploaded earlier, and added quite a few more channels and any videos I'd missed from already-documented channels.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235, 12thealchemist
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements, Applied Science, Artisan man, Astral chemistry, ChemExplorer Kim, ChemPracs, College Chemistry, EH Productions videos, eku_chem_lab, Extractions&Ire, Frankium, Full Modern Alchemist, hkparker, LuminolSynthesis, Matter Manipulation, Rhodanide, Smokin' Hot Science, Texium, The Canadian Chemist, TheChemiKid, The Chemistry Shack, Thoisoi2, Tom's Lab

I've also added a hyperlinked contents page, since I figured it would now be a useful addition.
Total size: 175 pages

Correct as of 23rd May 2018: Attachment: Syntheses of YouTube - 23.05.2018.pdf (3.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 1756 times

Edit: Something went wrong and the footers had disappeared in the previous file

[Edited on 23-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 01:48

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  
I've gone through again and expanded the document I uploaded earlier, and added quite a few more channels and any videos I'd missed from already-documented channels.
Selected channels: ChemPlayer, chemx01, Doug's Lab, Hazel Chem, NileRed, NurdRage, Nux,s channel, UC235, 12thealchemist
Odd videos from: mabakken, myst32YT, CHEM2050, mrhomescientist, AlchemicalGarden, elementguy27, Random Experiements, Applied Science, Artisan man, Astral chemistry, ChemExplorer Kim, ChemPracs, College Chemistry, EH Productions videos, eku_chem_lab, Extractions&Ire, Frankium, Full Modern Alchemist, hkparker, LuminolSynthesis, Matter Manipulation, Rhodanide, Smokin' Hot Science, Texium, The Canadian Chemist, TheChemiKid, The Chemistry Shack, Thoisoi2, Tom's Lab

I've also added a hyperlinked contents page, since I figured it would now be a useful addition.
Total size: 175 pages

Correct as of 23rd May 2018:

Edit: Something went wrong and the footers had disappeared in the previous file

[Edited on 23-5-2018 by 12thealchemist]

Very useful, thank you.

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-5-2018 at 03:34

I'm close to having all the channels I could find copied. I'll attach a couple of csv files listing the channels and what I have downloaded so far.

I think I have all the videos for everything except Royal Society Of Chemistry and NightHawkInLight. If anything doesn't look correct please let me know. Also, please let me know if I am missing a channel.

I have the actual video, annotations, subtitles and summary information on each video. If anyone is interested in a list of all the video let me know and I'll put it together.

I have not yet started on the comments. I will probably look into that this weekend.

Attachment: chemistry_videos_summary_by_count.csv (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 811 times

Attachment: chemistry_videos_summary_by_name.csv (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 843 times

APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 16-6-2018 at 04:25

Just want to say I whole heatedly agree with the action of and appreciate the sentiment of people backing this fine work up.

I would also like to make it known Chem Player has moved here.

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 16-6-2018 at 06:54

I'd like to say thank you to all of you who are preserving these videos. I regained my interest in chemistry by watching nilered, nurdrage, uc235 and doug's lab.
I got to see one video by chemplayer and the channel was taken down.

These videos have so much to contribute to our society. Had I not watched them, I would have never had the opportunity to see these reactions actually being done.
I would not have known how dangerous they can be. Now I know. And hopefully, others know too.

IMHO, youtube asked the wrong group of people to critique their chemistry videos. They should have asked the folks here to do that.

Just my 2 cents / pence / <Add your currency here>
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 12:57
Hosting platform option...

As I understand the problem, we are currently at the whim of whoever is hosting the videos/etc to not delete them. I can almost guarantee that a few years from now any links to the videos in this thread will be dead, either because the host went out of business, the poster didn’t keep up his/her subscription, the video was deemed to violate a TOS, the link expired, or otherwise because a butterfly sneezed while flapping his wings in Antarctica.

I think that Freenet (The Freenet Project) would offer a good solution to this type of problem. The project has been around for a long time, and the program is a free download. It’s basically a cross between regular web hosting and a filesharing program like Bit Torrent. Very simply described, the program runs invisibly in the background. When a user clicks on a Freenet link, a tab automatically opens in the web browser (Firefox, etc) and the request is routed through the Freenet network. The file opens in the web browser (if the file is a web page), or the usual dialog box pops up (giving you the option to open the file or save it), pretty much like it would if you were accessing a normal website. It’s operation is practically transparent once it’s set up.

The main difference between Freenet and regular web hosting is that Freenet is decentralized. Each Freenet user designates a fixed amount of space on their hard drive (10-50GB or so) to use as a datastore for the network. When someone uploads a file to the network, that file is automatically split into multiple pieces and spread across the datastores of the various users on the network. When someone wants to download the file, the opposite happens. Pieces of the file are automatically located and gathered together from the different user’s datastores. If several people are offline, there are normally enough redundant pieces in the network to reassemble the file on demand, hence it is referred to as a “censorship resistant” platform. This is contrasted with normal web hosting, where the host going offline or deleting the file means that no one can download the file anymore.

Files can’t be deleted from Freenet once they’re uploaded, unless everyone goes offline and un-installs Freenet at the same time. It’s like throwing a bag of dust to the wind; you can’t hope to retrieve the pieces once they’re uploaded. Every time someone downloads a file it gets distributed more widely across the different client’s datastores. The only usual way for a file to disappear from the network is for no one to ever download it; as new content gets uploaded, unpopular content gets slowly crowded off the datastores.

Freenet can be set up to connect to the network in one of three different ways: open-net mode, darknet mode, and hybrid mode. Open-net is what most beginners use, as it allows one to immediately hook up to the network and start using Freenet. It’s like the World Wide Web of Freenet so to speak. It could also be called the Wild Wild West of Freenet as well. Since the platform is censorship resistant it also attracts a lot of off-topic and/or objectionable content. Pieces of this content will be stored in your datastores. The datastores are encrypted so that you don’t know what they actually contain, but just the same, I think most people would be uncomfortable with this, even in the name of "free speech".

Darknet mode is much more limited. Users connect only to other users that they approve of ahead of time, instead of connecting to the wider Freenet community. A given darknet would be isolated from regular open-net users. It would be like having our own private Sciencemadness network. Our datastores would only contain on-topic (i.e. science-related) material, and our bandwidth would be donated only to other users on the same darknet. This keeps our bandwidth from being used/abused by open-net users, and also prevents our own content from being pushed off our datastores (since chemistry videos probably aren’t that popular on Freenet as a whole).

Hybrid mode is, you guessed it, a mix of open-net and darknet modes. At least one person on a given darknet also hooks up to open-net, allowing users on the darknet to access the rest of the content on Freenet. This in my view is undesireable, as it brings off-topic material into our datastores, and may slow down access to Sciencemadness users. If anyone tries this I’m pretty sure that I could identify them and have them kicked off the darknet. It might be an interesting experiment to try. I think that darknet mode would be best for our given situation.

While Freenet is often promoted as providing anonymity to uploaders and downloaders, there are certain attacks that law enforcement or others can apply to the network to determine if you’re downloading a particular file, provided that they are also a member of the same darknet (and assume that they are). It’s not intended to hide what you’re doing on the network from others, but is designed to provide censorship resistance, i.e., the opposite of what YouTube currently does. If you feel that accessing chemistry videos is somehow frowned upon in your jurisdiction, you can always access Freenet through a VPN, etc.

If anyone is interested in trying this out let me know. We would need at least 5 people to get a darknet running well, and would prefer those who can keep their computer running most of the time, but anyone interested in playing around with it is invited. We can upload some videos and have some other users download them and see how the general performance is. Freenet is based on Java, so it will run on Windows, Linux, whatever. There’s a learning curve when it comes to creating your own website and uploading it for the first time, but it’s not overly complicated. Uploading a video by itself is by contrast very easy to do. You upload the file through the browser, and it provides to you a link that you can post to the forum, etc.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 13:02

You could upload them to the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/movies

It's unlikely to go away anytime soon.

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 19:21

Probably something that every channel should do just in case (it's not going to cannibalise views as not many people know it exists, and I don't think the contents are visible on a google search).

https://archive.org/details/ChemPlayer

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2018 at 10:35

Well, see, there I go again...proposing a complicated solution to a problem that's already been solved. I didn't know that you could just upload videos to archive.org. Do they have some kind of TOS for what you can upload? I didn't see any real guidelines when I checked, other than to mind the copyright laws. That seems overly permissive to the point that I'm sure to be missing something.

I may play around with Freenet a bit anyway. I haven't done much of anything with it over the years, in spite of how interestingly it seems to work. I find poking through various types of networking platforms to be fun. Perhaps I'll take one of my better posts here and upload it in the form of a small Freenet website just to see how it goes.

I2P is another option, but I believe that the datastore is not decentralized on that platform, thus the hosting computer would have to remain online at all times to make the webpage/files accessible. That wouldn't be very useful from a resiliency perspective.

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2018 at 17:37

You may also be interested in https://ipfs.io/ - it seems to be gaining a lot of traction lately.

When I initially started backing up these channels I didn't have any plans other than my personal use. Tools like youtube-dl make it so simple it seemed like anyone could make their own backup. As the volume of material I've collected[1] has grown I have thought about how I could apply it to a larger purpose.

That being said, I'm uneasy about posting the videos anywhere without the creators permission prior to a video or channel being deleted.

[1] I have now downloaded well over a terabyte of video. Many of the largest channels are not chemistry related but the 1-10 GB for most channels quickly add up.
WGTR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2018 at 19:44

Thanks for the tip. I'll study up on it a bit.

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 04:13

The JOHN BLACK SUPER CHEMIST youtube channel has also now been terminated. I'm not sure when it happened, only noticed when I happened to see the error message from youtube-dl

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQwT7_Hd61jorj3f0cenZuA
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 05:06

I have only watched a few of his. But he was good! Sad news. Wonder what happened.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 9-8-2018 at 09:37

The 4 main channels currently on YouTube are
NurdRage
NileRed
Periodic Videos
Cody's Lab

There are a significant amount of others, and they are in a significant amount of danger.

NurdRage did get a strike but I think his appeal was listened to and they took it back. He is probably the most important source for inorganic chemistry, although his lab practice is a bit messy.

NileRed is my personal favorite and is a valuable source for organic chemistry although NurdRage is probably the better chemist. He is in way more danger despite his videos being less dangerous than NurdRages. Even though he is rapidly gaining attention, I still worry.

Cody'sLab is probably ok as he is very considerate of regulations. He isnt technically a chemist (he is a geologist) but his videos can still be considered valuable.

No need to worry about periodic videos.

In terms of what should be backed up, certain videos should have priority such as:
NurdRages sodium synthesis w/ domestic chemicals
acquisition of chemicals
Electrochemistry videos
Purifying Chemicals/extraction videos
Acquisition of pure elements
Safety videos
Videos in immediate danger (NaCN synthesis by NurdRage, etc.)
Complex important organic chemistry videos
Videos with hard to find information
Creation of alkali/halogens/acids/bases
Iodine/phosphorus/benzaldehyde and similarly controled chemicals
Hard to find lab practices
Methods to create sulfuric acid
Lab equipment acquisition

Im sure there are more, but that is a good start for a priority list.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2018 at 09:54

Thanks for taking the time to document so many reactions, 12thealchemist! Great work.

It's interesting to see my videos distilled down to a few sentences, which can still accurately describe everything I did. It made me wonder "How did I manage to turn that into 15 minutes??" :)
weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 02:23

WGTR: I was rather heavily involved with Freenet at a point many years ago, and was intimately familiar with its architecture and code. It suffered from extreme latency and reliability issues. Not a great place to archive thousands of videos, because most people simply won't allocate a useful amount of storage to Freenet. If it tries to find the video, and you've got to retrieve it 15 hops deep... it'll be a month before you're done.

Also, uploading content is a spectacularly slow and painful process. Even to insert a small blog-style page to a KSK or SSK took hours. Worse still, if the content is unpopular and not accessed routinely, it'll be forced out of the stores relatively quickly (due to typical store size). Then you have to re-insert it.

I say put them up on a torrent site accessible over Tor. I can't get BitChute's magnet links to work for whatever reason--it never finishes downloading the metadata and one of their trackers fails every time. And I just can't be bothered to make their setup work when magnet links from elsewhere work fine.

Hell, I've got an old 1TB RAID from years ago that I just dug out of a box and have no use for. If someone made torrents, I'd be happy to seed them, assuming the content creators are okay with it. It wouldn't hold everything certainly, but I don't mind sharing what I can for storage and bandwidth for high value content.

Edit: Skimming through the first pages of the thread, someone mentioned the idea of actual DVDs of Chemplayer's videos. I would also pay for that. The same goes for NurdRage, NileRed, and a number of others. I buy dead-tree books still, why not have nice DVDs?

[Edited on 11-8-2018 by weilawei]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 04:17

@ ChemPlayer--thanks for archiving your stuff. grabbing the OGG archive now. BitChute does kind of have issues, neither the nickel chloride/borohydride vid or acetophenone one will play for me.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

AussieChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-8-2018 at 05:31

there are lots and lots of problems with other video site tho, I uploaded some of my strike videos on vidme, well I guess you all know what happened to it. sites like Bitchute and Vemeo takes forever to upload and there are limits to how much can be uploaded in a week.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top