Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: How should I treat TATP?
Booze
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 18:37
How should I treat TATP?

Should I be aware of this? I saw one video, and the guy just throws it around and keeps 70 grams of it, and has kept it for 7 months. Then I saw another video saying you should not keep it for more than 10 hours and be extremely carefull with it. I just made a batch, and it is in the fridge right now. Is it really that dangerous, or is it something to be laid back about?
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 18:51

Quote: Originally posted by Booze  
Should I be aware of this? I saw one video, and the guy just throws it around and keeps 70 grams of it, and has kept it for 7 months. Then I saw another video saying you should not keep it for more than 10 hours and be extremely carefull with it. I just made a batch, and it is in the fridge right now. Is it really that dangerous, or is it something to be laid back about?

This sciencemadness wiki post should clear some things up: http://sciencemadness.wikia.com/wiki/Acetone_peroxide
LD5050
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2017 at 20:42

I think I know what video you are talking about and the kid is a total moron. Please please pleaseee be careful with that stuff dude seriously the kid in the video you are referring to is SO LUCKY he is not dead or mamed by now. Just because he has been lucky up till now doesn't mean u will be and for some random reason you could possibly have just the right conditions one time for that to just randomly blow up in ur face and that's it your life is over or your face is gone because you decided to make some stupid unstable explosive just to hear it go bang...is it worth the risk? I don't know dude think about it, you're going to do what you want but honestly think about it weigh the risks and bennifits. I understand people tend to over dramatize the dangers of certain chemicals and so forth but but that is one I wouldn't want to screw around with unless you KNOW EXACTALY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:39

"How should I treat TATP?"
Respectfully, or not at all.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 07:25

Pardon my French, but I highly recommend that you DO NOT fuck with organic peroxides. Personally, I made over 200g over the course of three years, without incident. I was extremely lucky, others weren't so. I've found that it's just not a risk I'm ever willing to take again. So, I swore never to make any more organic peroxides. And I haven't since. Disposing of them is a nightmare. Chemically destroying them is very tricky, and I still haven't found a method that is reliable. Don't risk it. Be safe.

-T/Azide

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by Tetra]

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 12:38

Is this all organic peroxides? I have been thinking about making peracetic acid and perbenzoic acid....

Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 13:48

How you should view TATP? Like a wounded tiger, preferably through binoculars.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 14:32

Peracetic acid has never given me any trouble under conditions of reasonable use. I've never used perbenzoic acid, so I can't really say (looks OK, though).

TATP? Just don't. Really.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 19:58

Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  

Pardon my French, but I highly recommend that you DO NOT fuck with organic peroxides. Personally, I made over 200g over the course of three years, without incident. I was extremely lucky, others weren't so. I've found that it's just not a risk I'm ever willing to take again. So, I swore never to make any more organic peroxides. And I haven't since. Disposing of them is a nightmare. Chemically destroying them is very tricky, and I still haven't found a method that is reliable. Don't risk it. Be safe.

-T/Azide

[Edited on 12-5-2017 by Tetra]

I like to make things that go boom. What do you mean disposing of them is a nightmare? I dump most my chemical waste in a bucket and dump it in the gutter.
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 20:24

Quote: Originally posted by LD5050  
I think I know what video you are talking about and the kid is a total moron. Please please pleaseee be careful with that stuff dude seriously the kid in the video you are referring to is SO LUCKY he is not dead or mamed by now. Just because he has been lucky up till now doesn't mean u will be and for some random reason you could possibly have just the right conditions one time for that to just randomly blow up in ur face and that's it your life is over or your face is gone because you decided to make some stupid unstable explosive just to hear it go bang...is it worth the risk? I don't know dude think about it, you're going to do what you want but honestly think about it weigh the risks and bennifits. I understand people tend to over dramatize the dangers of certain chemicals and so forth but but that is one I wouldn't want to screw around with unless you KNOW EXACTALY WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!

I make 1-2 grams if I want to. It seems to be completely safe when wet, and really fun when it goes boom. I will never make enough to make my finger go off.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 20:44

I might be mistaken but I thought 1-2 grams was plenty enough to take a finger off.
Certainly enough to take out an eye.

With the admonitions of several experienced members here I would think the risk/reward ratio means that playing with this stuff just isn't worth it -- no matter what the boom is like.
There are plenty of other substances that give a good bang. Why not go for one of those?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 23:37

treat it as thou wilt, only one way to find out if you have understood the compounds nature correctly
i know many people have had the idea that the compound has a personality of spirit simply because of their own ignorance, or should we still keep the idea of the chemical compound being demonic in its nature open?

it can turn into gas and condense inside a container during storage so you want to avoid screwlid, it can also ignite with static discharge and in open air more than 10g will self-confine

anything neat or useful comes with a risk but this compound is not for a beginner to handle, many ways you can mess up with this exact thing

it may be "physically" (although physical is a myth hm) stable when wettened or plasticized but it still has tendency to form large sensitive singlecrystals, which one of them snapping could be enough to get the whole thing going

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 07:35

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I might be mistaken but I thought 1-2 grams was plenty enough to take a finger off.
Certainly enough to take out an eye.

With the admonitions of several experienced members here I would think the risk/reward ratio means that playing with this stuff just isn't worth it -- no matter what the boom is like.
There are plenty of other substances that give a good bang. Why not go for one of those?

This one is really easy to make.

What are some of the things you suggest?
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 09:49

SADS
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 10:15

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
SADS

Sudden arrhythmic death syndrome?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 16:39

SADS

Close enough.

Seriously though, you have been warned of the dangers. I don't know why you are not listening.
You state that one of the attractions of TATP is ease of preparation but seem flippant about the downside (and the legality).
I don't really understand why you don't want to upskill to do something safer.

Here is a resource that you might look into. It contains a lot of useful information on all manner of energetic materials, their synthesis, use, testing, associated risks and procedures for safe handling.

edit: formatting

[Edited on 14-5-2017 by j_sum1]
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
SADS

Close enough.

Seriously though, you have been warned of the dangers. I don't know why you are not listening.
You state that one of the attractions of TATP is ease of preparation but seem flippant about the downside (and the legality).
I don't really understand why you don't want to upskill to do something safer.

Here is a resource that you might look into. It contains a lot of useful information on all manner of energetic materials, their synthesis, use, testing, associated risks and procedures for safe handling.

edit: formatting

[Edited on 14-5-2017 by j_sum1]

I am listening, I just don't reallyy like what you are proposing. I have only made TATP once, and don't really plan on making it again. Oh well.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 14-5-2017 at 01:15

i once had some kid writing to me that he made something like 100g of the stuff and it was in the basement drying out, he didnt even bother washing it
its infamous because its very easy to make and extremely ignorant people make it
the kid seemingly didnt die from it
another guy i talked to had a small bit of it in his room very close to some firecrackers, as he tried grabbing the firecracker static ignited the AP which was enough to ignite fuse and he had to quickly get the now lit firecracker out the window
karma should maybe be considered if handling difficult compounds

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2017 at 14:28

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
SADS

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=17055
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 15-5-2017 at 05:31

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Is this all organic peroxides? I have been thinking about making peracetic acid and perbenzoic acid....

That's totally fine, those kinds of Peroxides are all okay to handle normally. At least, that's what I've found.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2017 at 05:39

That's kind of what I figured... I'll make sure I understand the dangers before attempting to make either.

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 16-5-2017 at 06:36

OK, on disposing keep in mind that if you think 1g of this stuff on detonation is bad, by the rough cube rule for explosives, the bang of 70 g is 70 cubed times as worse. That is, 343,000 times more intense!!!!!!

So the word 'bang' just doesn't do justice, and this one reason one should never make anything other than very small amounts of energetic material (like a mg, not a gram).

[Edited on 16-5-2017 by AJKOER]
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-5-2017 at 13:25

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
OK, on disposing keep in mind that if you think 1g of this stuff on detonation is bad, by the rough cube rule for explosives, the bang of 70 g is 70 cubed times as worse. That is, 343,000 times more intense!!!!!!

So the word 'bang' just doesn't do justice, and this one reason one should never make anything other than very small amounts of energetic material (like a mg, not a gram).

[Edited on 16-5-2017 by AJKOER]

Wow, that video I found showed a guy with a bottle filled with 70 grams of TATP, and even I know not to do that.

boom
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 16-5-2017 at 20:28

I'm calling detritus on this one. Solid advice has been given, whatever the outcome.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 17-5-2017 at 06:30

Hands off TATP, or hands will be off because of TATP.

Well, certainly hundreds if not thousends of kids handle that stuff, because it's so easy to synthesize. And most of them certainly have had no accident.
Still, if the propability of an unwanted explosion is 5%, this is extremely high.

There are other, safer HE.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top