Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: White Fuming Nitric Acid
Booze
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 20:51
White Fuming Nitric Acid

Hello. I got interested in WFNA, as it has very little info on wikipedia. My current guess on its prep is a nitric acid synthesis without water, and maybe bubbled with air afterward? Or added a little bit of urea? Can someone clarify a little bit? Thanks
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 21:03

There are YT vids on the synthesis. Not dissimilar from making azeotropic NA. Simply distil from sulfuric acid and a dry nitrate.
Red fuming nitric acid occurs is you get any evolution of nitrogen oxides. Then you need to redistil.

But really, why? 68% is suitable for nearly everything. And WFNA is painful to store.

Make in small volumes as you need it.
Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
There are YT vids on the synthesis. Not dissimilar from making azeotropic NA. Simply distil from sulfuric acid and a dry nitrate.
Red fuming nitric acid occurs is you get any evolution of nitrogen oxides. Then you need to redistil.

But really, why? 68% is suitable for nearly everything. And WFNA is painful to store.

I wasn't going to make much, or keep it for very long.

Possible RDX synth.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 08:55

Before I could get 68% nitric acid OTC, my nitric acid was always WFNA, because I had to make it myself. It's actually not that bad, in my opinion. I just stored it in a dark brown polyethylene bottle and never had a problem. Basically, if you vacuum-distill sulfuric acid and 68% nitric acid, or sulfuric acid and a nitrate salt, you get WFNA. If you distill it without a vacuum, it's less white and more red. Of course, the vapors will destroy just about anything that you'd use to pull a vacuum except an aspirator, so keep that in mind.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 09:03

I usually distilled KNO3 and H2SO4 without a vacuum to get RFNA and then used a fishtank air pump to blow dry air through it to kick out the NOx until water clear.

Booze
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 10:14

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
I usually distilled KNO3 and H2SO4 without a vacuum to get RFNA and then used a fishtank air pump to blow dry air through it to kick out the NOx until water clear.

I have a pump, but really don't want to risk destroying it. I will do that.
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 13-5-2017 at 10:16

I've made WFNA successfully using battery acid boiled down to 90%, fertilizer grade potassium nitrate and a retort. Density measurements showed the concentration to be 95%. The trick is not to overheat the distilling flask, or you'll get RFNA instead.

Smells like ammonia....
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2017 at 08:40

While we are on the topic of W/RFNA,could someone answer these questions please -http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=71219#...
akmetal
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-12-2023 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by Booze  

Possible RDX synth.

Very easy to just get an ATF permit, and if you use it the same day you dont have to have a magazine, even if you have to build a magazine its not that big of a deal unless you live in a highly urban area.
thermochromic
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-12-2023 at 19:15

Quote: Originally posted by akmetal  
Quote: Originally posted by Booze  

Possible RDX synth.

Very easy to just get an ATF permit, and if you use it the same day you dont have to have a magazine, even if you have to build a magazine its not that big of a deal unless you live in a highly urban area.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure you do not need any permit from the AFT to simply synth rdx or other energetic (minus a few outlawed by name like TATP). Permitting is required for transportation, storage, or if you are making a destructive device. Is far is the “ if you use it on the same day” statement, I think you are thinking of ffl 07/SOT requirements for serializing and logging destructive devices. Perhaps there is a similar requirement for record keeping of explosives but like I said, if you are making some, not transporting, and using experimentally the same day on your own property, no licensing is needed, federally at least

[Edited on 24-12-2023 by thermochromic]
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 24-12-2023 at 04:54

In the US, federal level, your correct.
But every state has different restrictions, and every county, more restrictions.
There is not a one size fits all answer here.
Best to ask your local authorities.
Most will be understanding, some will think your a nut job.
Mine wanted to see me workspace and lab logs.
Since moving into a more populated area, i was granted permission for quantities less than 0.1g.
and local noise/firework restrictions apply.

[Edited on 24-12-2023 by Rainwater]

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted

Go To Top