Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Got a lot done. Where to go next.
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

Mood: dealing with excessive change

[*] posted on 22-5-2017 at 08:14
Got a lot done. Where to go next.

So I Made about 10 gallons of AR over the weekend and managed to recover a decent amount of gold out of the unprocessed circuit boards by direct AR dissolution then precipitate with OTC sodium dithionite. Pictures will be in this week(end) and I will see if I can upload a few videos from my YouTube channel which I will have linked once vids are uploaded. Now once my material is incinerated with a setup I will end up taking a picture of later this week and washed with water to get rid of water soluble stuff and light ash, what's the best way to go about getting rid of the rest of the impurities i.e. ceramics, base metals, etc? Also, before you groan at the fact I am bringing up a similar subject that ended up in detris for going off the rails, I intend on keeping it on track as I only have a few questions. One Where to go with it next, is there a way to remove ceramics without HF, and how do I separate the PM's after precipitated with dithionite as I have a lot of powder. My tote has almost an inch of powder coating the bottom which is about 1.5 square feet.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 22-5-2017 at 08:29

Sounds like you need one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aXyK0xIt0k
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-5-2017 at 09:06

Where'd you get all the nitric acid?
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-5-2017 at 11:56

Quote: Originally posted by PirateDocBrown  
Where'd you get all the nitric acid?
I used stump out grade KNO3. Nitric would have been too expensive.
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-5-2017 at 12:20

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
Sounds like you need one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aXyK0xIt0k
Yup. I wish I lived in an industrial park instead of a residential community. That would make life way easier as a waste shredder would make life way easier as I wouldn't have so much plastic to deal with. Some has to be destroyed by extreme heat provided by charcoal with a 110CFM shop vac outlet and the rest must be destroyed with piranha solution or a equally strong oxidizer such as manganese heptoxide which I would like to avoid if possible. Maybe a container of molten NaOH would also help to remove glass and other things. I am aware I could use Na2CO3 to destroy glass but it requires temperatures only achievable with my furnace which I ran out of propane for. Certainly helps to have anhydrous magnesium sulfate to increase the reaction lifetime of the solution by sucking out water in the event I opt to use piranha.
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 28-5-2017 at 15:10

If there are still base metals in there, you could try using a mixture of HCl and hydrogen peroxide. I'm not sure if it will work with the ceramics and the other miscellaneous material. Copper and nickel are commonly found in computer scrap, and since HCl isn't strong enough to "dissolve" those metals, hydrogen peroxide is used. IIRC it should also work with iron and silver. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 28-5-2017 at 15:35

Silver chloride is insoluble in water, and would form a protective coating on any silver metal. Also, I'm fairly certain that HCl/H2O2 can dissolve palladium, and possibly gold (slowly though).

For a shredding machine, they rent them out to places that have a lot of bulky crap that they want to get rid of too. Here's the portable version, though I imagine you don't have enough funds to afford to rent it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5MAa65kvjo
Alice
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-5-2017 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by The jersey rebel  
So I Made about 10 gallons of AR over the weekend and managed to recover a decent amount of gold out of the unprocessed circuit boards by direct AR dissolution then precipitate with OTC sodium dithionite.

What happens with all the waste water?
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 04:19

the waste was treated with iron to cement out the copper and residual PMs and then saturated with bicarbonate to make a chunky solid I can then dispose of in regular trash
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 07:59

Cement would probably be a cheaper base if you have any more to get rid of.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
5-6-2017 at 08:57
The jersey rebel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-6-2017 at 17:45

maybe. However I can get bicarb in bulk so it's much cheaper for me. connections to local plants is very helpful

Go To Top