Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Morgellons sindrome
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 18:04

Apparently, Borrelia burgdorferi does produce a toxin, says this source and the abstract here. What is still being doubted is whether the toxin plays a major role in the pathophysiology of Lyme disease.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 21:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
That would be easy to test, just culture the bitch and see if it produces anything potent. I would not think the microbiology boys and girls would have missed this.

I don't have time right now to dig up more papers, but try this one:

Barbour, A.G., Maupin, G.O., Teltow, G.J., Carter, C.J., and Piesman, J. "Identification of an Uncultivable Borrelia Species in the Hard Tick Amblyomma americanum: Possible Agent of a Lyme Disease-like Illness." J. Infect. Dis. 173:403-409 (1996).
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 22:31

"Uncultivable" means they haven't found the proper medium yet, that's all. I don't think there's such a thing as inherently uncultivable bacilli, but, it's not my expertise.
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 23:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
"Uncultivable" means they haven't found the proper medium yet, that's all. I don't think there's such a thing as inherently uncultivable bacilli, but, it's not my expertise.

You are partly correct in that the proper medium or growing method has not yet been found. But for some species this may not happen any time soon. Too little is known about them.

Not trying to be pedantic, but spirochetes are not bacilli. That's a horse of another color ;)

Edit: more about uncultivables is at
http://www.marinescience.neu.edu/facultystaff/lewis.html
According to the page, "The riddle of uncultivable microorganisms has been recognized as the main challenge for basic and applied research in microbiology by the American Society for Microbiology (Young, 1997). "

That paper by Young isn't listed at the bottom of that page, sadly.

[Edited on by Pyridinium]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 22:43
Sauron's idea

I think it's a great idea. I think we could include a well known disease/syndrome; petroleum addiction. There are many avenues open to work on:

1) Reviving the Fischer-Troppe to make it start with CO2 instead of CO

2) Polymers to support catalysts for converting vegetable oil to biodiesel

3) more efficient more cost-effective ways of getting the glycerol out of biodiesel

4) sequestration of CO2 formed in fermenation to make fuels and organic starting compounds like pentanol and benzaldehyde

These are a few of the challenges in the synfuel arena and if this group could, as a group, with joint credits, make significant progress it would be noteworthy and I believe noted.

I got out of medicinal chemistry because I hated being inside all the time and got involved in alternative energy instead. I still have a lot of interest in solving the energy/environmental crisis. I believe a lot of solutions will come from different arenas; elctronics/electricity, geophysics, petroleum chemisrty and synfuel chemistry. we might plug in somewhere and make a difference. Whether we get recognition is secondary to me.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top