Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum pump for trade
Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 13:31
Vacuum pump for trade

Back in April I picked up a vacuum pump at a yard sale for cheap. I haven't used it at all and I cannot imagine myself using it for the foreseeable future. I was going to sell it on eBay or Craigslist but this seemed like too much work and a trade would be more fun :).

Details:
Fischer technical company LAV-3 vacuum pump
1/2 HP motor, oil capacity 27 ounces, pumps 3 cubic feet per minute, lowest vacuum 25 micron (0.025 torr), weighs ~12 Kg (27 pounds). Used and in very good visual condition. The guy I bought it from said it worked fine, I flicked the switch on for a second and it turned on. I haven't put any oil in it or done any more testing but I believe the guy (a friend of my parents and lives just down the street). Obviously if it did have bad problems then I would make it right.

I'm looking for glassware/chemicals/misc equipment. I already have plenty of basic glassware, so for example 24/40 stuff, separatory funnels, burettes, etc. is what I'm looking for. As for chemicals I'm open to anything except list I precursors. Offer whatever you think it's worth.

I want to deal locally (within the state of Maine) because of the expenses with shipping both ways. I live around Portland ME. Feel free to reply here or U2U me with questions or offers.
Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2017 at 13:39

Pictures:

IMG_1107.JPG - 1.5MB IMG_1106.JPG - 1.7MB IMG_1108.JPG - 1.9MB IMG_1110.JPG - 1.3MB
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 05:05

Personally I feel like you should keep it. They're very useful and I think if you got rid of it you'd regret it later when you end up having to buy a crappy one.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 06:28

I was originally going to keep it. The problem for me is that an oil based pump requires requires regularly changing the oil to prevent corrosion. You also have to be careful not to let harmful susstances enter it by using traps and whatnot. The operating cost is too high for me. I also don't need a vacuum that good, I might only need that for vacuum sealing an ampoule. Soon I'm going to buy a water aspirator and my dream is to get a Chemglass diaphragm pump (maybe next Christmas :)). I would rather have equipment or chemicals which are useful to me now.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 08:40

Of course we'd all love to have diaphragm pumps, but I'd still suggest hanging onto that one until something better comes up. Going from having a decent pump to hoping you'll get a better pump seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

Maintaining an oil based pump isn't actually that hard, as long as you're gentle with it and change the oil when needed. Also, despite the manufacturers claiming that only their expensive brand-name oil is adequate for filling the pumps, I've found that regular old mineral oil will suffice for mine.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top