Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easiest source for a small amount of polyoxymethylene / polyacetal / polyformaldehyde / Delrin / acetal?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 8-6-2017 at 03:27
Easiest source for a small amount of polyoxymethylene / polyacetal / polyformaldehyde / Delrin / acetal?

I know keck clamps are made out of this plastic, as well as a very large number of other things, most of which are small, and are parts of other things. Anyway, I need to come up with a way that an average person could find a small amount of this plastic fairly easily, without having to order anything online. It doesn't have to ALWAYS be made out of this stuff, but the more likely it is to be the material, the better.

Any ideas?

edit: Made title more readable

[Edited on 6/8/17 by Melgar]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-6-2017 at 08:49

So, I came up with a few potential sources of polyacetal plastic: higher-quality guitar picks, gears and pulleys from inside old printers, and those plastic rivets that are used to hold vehicle dashboards in place. You can even buy those plastic rivets from Harbor Freight, where they're referred to as "POM rivets" (POM for "polyoxymethylene"). The idea was for an OTC Marquis test that didn't require buying formaldehyde solution, and briefly adding polyacetal to sulfuric acid then decanting, or just using a tiny amount of polyacetal, will give the necessary solution in a few seconds.

Go To Top