Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What kind of pressure unit is "p mm."?
alking
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 08:58
What kind of pressure unit is "p mm."?

I'm looking at this pdf:

https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/4535/e...

It lists the pressure values in units of "p mm." What is a p? Google is no help here, is it just me or is this not a valid unit of measurement? Probably just me, but this should be simple to figure out.

P can't be pound, the abbreviation for pound is lb, and you're not going to measure pounds/millimeter and mix units. All I can figure it stands for is pressure, which is as meaningless as saying I am 1 human tall. If it is a pascal (Pa) then it also makes no sense to me as a pascal is one newton of force per 1 sq meter so this would then be 1 newton per 1 sq meter per 1sq millimeter.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 09:18

They are using a lower case p to represent pressure, so I can see why you are a bit confused. The units are listed as mm, in terms of pressure this is usually understood to be mmHg, or torr. Look at the text preceding Table 1, the units are clearly defined there.

alking
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2017 at 10:08

Thanks! I feel kind of dumb, it is mentioned right there in the first paragraph preceding the data, "the pressures in millimeters of mercury." Seems like an odd way to list it, "mm/hg" is the same number of characters as "p mm.," why not just use the unit for the heading.

Go To Top