Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chlorates, sulfates and Pb electrode
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2017 at 04:36
Chlorates, sulfates and Pb electrode

It is known that chlorates can be produced by anodic oxidation of chlorides with lead dioxide anode. It is also known that regular lead anode is not satisfactory when producing chlorates due to excessive corrosion. Finally, lead electrodes are very good when used for electolysis of solutions containing sulfates, due to a layer of lead dioxide forming on the surface of the anode.

Lead electrode that was anodicaly oxidised in sulfate containing solution and has a thin layer of lead dioxide would still corrode too much when used to produce chlorates in ordinary way.

But I came up with the idea: what if the electrolyte for producing chlorate contained, apart from sodium/potassium chloride some kind of sulfate? This should stabilise the layer of lead dioxide forming on the anode I think and decrease the corrosion of the anode to a feasible level. Should I try it? How much sulfate and chloride should be in the solution?
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-6-2017 at 13:02

Whatever, tried reading some papers and it seems it will not work as intended.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 01:53

tried this once before with sodium sulfate and my solution just ended up brown like flint water!! and was left with no anode...

Go To Top