Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What are the fire and building codes?
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 00:26
What are the fire and building codes?

What are the fire and building codes applicable for a home lab in the United States?
The only information I have found so far is NFPA 45. I am exempt from it as I only own a couple of liters of flammable liquid. What other codes are there? Thanks!
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 02:31

Have you already seen this?

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 17:48

@sparkgap: thanks for the link. I'm sure I will find it very interesting. I've come to the conclusion that the way for the home chemist to go is to practice "micro"-chemistry. I think my biggest problem is to identify and determine the purity of products.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2017 at 18:00

Many places have zoning laws. These often contain the NFPA as well as various other codes, most of which do not have the force of law unless given it by statute (although compliance is often required by banks, insurance companies, government funded programs, etc.). The NEC is an important set of codes. There are also various ANSI and ISO standards. They can specify things such as where you are allowed to produce noxious and toxic gases and how far from the property line you have to store explosives, etc., as well as more mundane topics such as how large your front door has to be. The EPA also has some codes, but typically you don't have to worry about those unless you are dealing with fairly substantial quantities of chemicals.

So you need to worry about :

- If you have employees you have to follow OSHA codes.
- Local zoning laws.
- Whatever your grant funders/bank/insurance company/landlord/etc. require.

Go To Top