Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Photophthalimidation of unactivated alkenes
notoxicshit
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-7-2017 at 16:18
Photophthalimidation of unactivated alkenes

I had been looking up some stuff about phthalimide and phthalic anhydride, when I came across a paper with the aforementioned title.

I wanted to try an photochemical procedure for quite a while and I happen to have one of the experimentally used compounds around: anethole.

Why I am posting here is because I am not sure how to approach the apparative side of this adventure.
I'm pretty sure there are members who have already done things like that and who can help me spend as little money as possible.

I happen to have quite a few lamps used for indoor cultivation of plants, some of the metal hydride cold light sort and some warm light sodium vapor lamps as well as some "ceramic burner" type shopping window neutral light.

Maybe some of these could be used, but purchasing a Hg lamp wouldn't be a problem.

I need to know where to cheaply get a lamp and which kinds of glass I can use for this.

I don't think this should be too involved, right?

Thanks in advance.

PS: one of the attached document pre-dates the other for some years. they seem to have made some, but no exhausting improvements, as the conversion percentages are far from complete.
The "numbers-titled" one is older and the "letters-titled" one is newer.

Attachment: 1-s2.0-S0040403999001033-main.pdf (202kB)
This file has been downloaded 372 times

Attachment: Photoinduced_SET_Phthalimidation_of_Unactivated_Do.pdf (248kB)
This file has been downloaded 349 times

notoxicshit
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-7-2017 at 16:19

What I need to know is, why is just "pyrex" mentioned as the kind of glas they use? Does that indicate any pyrex is okay?
Ive heard of quartz being suitable for uv photochem. A decent quarz erlenmeyer wouldnt be too pricey.
Are they suitable for this?

As well, where do I get cheap UV lamps?

Seen a place near me sell a medical UV apparatus for light therapy. Could it be suitable? Could check it out tomorrow if any specs are to be found.
notoxicshit
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 10:25

So I have detected a facial uv radiation apparatus for achieving a tan.
It seems to have a filtering glass and 420 watts. Its called Dr. Kern HT 420 - dunno what the HT stands for, but the backside said UV A.
People say its slow in giving you a tan, and that is supposed to be because of the filtering glass. I just hope the glass tube of the lamp bulb itsself does not have any filtering properties.

Do you think that could work? I could get it for ridiculously cheap, like 8.90 euros.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 23:49

Quote: Originally posted by notoxicshit  
So I have detected a facial uv radiation apparatus for achieving a tan.
It seems to have a filtering glass and 420 watts. Its called Dr. Kern HT 420 - dunno what the HT stands for, but the backside said UV A.
People say its slow in giving you a tan, and that is supposed to be because of the filtering glass. I just hope the glass tube of the lamp bulb itsself does not have any filtering properties.

Do you think that could work? I could get it for ridiculously cheap, like 8.90 euros.

Sorry for the late response. I only found your post today.

Your references refer to hv wavelengths greater than 300nm and phthalimide anion excitation at 300nm. Pyrex lab ware usually refers to borosilicate glass that usually has a uv cutoff at 300nm. Those two facts are consistent with the use of a Pyrex enclosure for the immersion medium pressure mercury vapour lamp.

So quartz is not required and as to what type of Pyrex I guess type 3.3 borosilicate.

Tanning lamps are usually medium pressure mercury vapour lamps and their uva emissions (above 320nm) are the tanning rays. The filter of your tanning lamp probably absorbs the dangerous wavelengths below 320nm so if you use it without the filter it will probably have sufficient 300nm output to work.

I looked for your ridiculously cheap, 8.90 euro tanning lamp but could only find it at £200 and up. I have previously looked for used tanning lamps in ebay and used shops without any success.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 11:34

Go To Top