Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Detonation systems
Bfitzy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2017 at 13:07
Detonation systems

I've been searching for a prospective thread regarding Detonators/ blasting caps. People seem to have a variety of different methods, the most common being pressing some amount of primary (50-500g ) and up to 2.5g of a secondary (HMTD/ETN/PETN) into a metal tube of some diameter >4mm with some kind of metal plugs and I guess everybody has bulk E-match hookups. I am currently trying out of laziness to make my own system using 3D-printed parts. going well so far using 6mm ID 8MM OD 25mm long PLA tubes. Will not be able to test them for a while however.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 12:57

Quote: Originally posted by Bfitzy  
I've been searching for a prospective thread regarding Detonators/ blasting caps. People seem to have a variety of different methods, the most common being pressing some amount of primary (50-500g ) and up to 2.5g of a secondary (HMTD/ETN/PETN) into a metal tube of some diameter >4mm with some kind of metal plugs and I guess everybody has bulk E-match hookups. I am currently trying out of laziness to make my own system using 3D-printed parts. going well so far using 6mm ID 8MM OD 25mm long PLA tubes. Will not be able to test them for a while however.

I suppose your 3D printer is not working with laser and metallic powder....
PLA? Poly-Lactic acid? (Better write full name aside the accronyms at least once into the tread).

Detonators needs hard casing to ensure confinement...plastic will not be strong enough to confine the deflagration/detonation or transition D2D...what means you will need overkilling quantities to acheive same effect.

At equal densities, the detonation speed (VOD) of PETN is proportionnal to the hardness of the casing...
Paper < rubber < hard plastic < glass < mild copper < hard copper < soft iron < iron steel

For excessive good detonating stuffs (primaries) even 5-10 mg can be enough .... for some less potent initiators sometimes one needs 50 to 100 mg...but 500mg is way too much...so with your "50-500g" you are way over the break-even by a factor 1000 to 10000...:(

[Edited on 19-7-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 18-7-2017 at 23:13

I mean, that Bfitzy has error in describe. He needed write (50 - 500mg).

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2017 at 07:54

and to note HMTD is NOT a secondary!!
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2017 at 01:53
D2D the tube

The tubes that provide D2D capability may look like this:

pic1.jpg - 531kB
........Dr.................:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Chisholm
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 03:35

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
The tubes that provide D2D capability may look like this:

........Dr.................:cool:

How could someone possibly crimp the aluminium foil in place without wrinkling or tearing it?
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 03:59

I use a medium wall brass tube from the hobby stores for a good while was using the aluminium both work quite well
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 06:39

Most primaries do D2D easily in a drinking straw confinement. I always used lead azide or the complex with picnic acid, about 10 mg, with a centimeter of PETN in a straw and never had a misfire.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2017 at 06:40
D2D

Brass is good. But aluminium at some mixtures show failed. Respectively D2D effect failed. For LA is steel cavity luxus, not needed, of course. Solid cavity is for safely non-primary mixtures. Dr.

[Edited on 25-7-2017 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 26-7-2017 at 01:52

Just as explained previously....detonation speed and pressure is dependant onto the density of packing of the compound itself...but that being equal also onto the hardness/resistance of the outer casing...

So a plastic straw will be less good and require more material than aluminium straw/pipe itself a little less good than brass/copper and finally than iron steel.
Of course for amateur work we don't really care about using 50mg or 30mg ;-)...but for professional/military/spying use where miniaturization and weight is important...

In theory thus the best detonator casings would be made of:
1°) diamond or tungsten carbide (WC)...
2°) an active faster explosive casing...ensuring confinement by the compressing wave...it is what happens into a shaped charge...the outer layer initiates and confine the inner material that has not yet detonated...and the later forms an isotropic jet hence reaching faster VOD and pressure into the shaped charge axis...
3°) a material that is very hard inside and outer layers of other materials with decreasing hardness but increased elasticity --> iron steel pipe treated on the Inside with phosphor/carbon and coated on the inside with WC and on the outside with nanofiber glue

[Edited on 26-7-2017 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2017 at 04:10

or in the real world a standard aluminium pipe of 5mm and charges pressed to a min of 100psi loading density

Brass for Mercury Fulminate, Aluminium for Azide. Paper jacket for HMTD in either casing or nitro lacquer coated.

I usually put in a paper jacket and nitro lacquer it as of late since I still use HMTD as it is the best out of the worst far as pressing goes.

The jacket all so serves to make a re-enforcing cap as well, as My goal is to make near mill spec caps. reason being one day I plan to get into hobby mining :) won't make millions but will be fun.

[Edited on 26-7-2017 by XeonTheMGPony]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2017 at 06:37

Paper jacket liner in cavity is very good idea, simply generally. Decreases it friction effect during filling for anything will inside. And reactivity with metal. From this seen a rich practical experiences. In real world here on Earth.
And on near planets, of course......:cool:...Dr

Go To Top