Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Thorium metal in coherent form
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 14-8-2017 at 07:12

All of this needs to wait. I sustained a second degree burn on index finger and thumb when a syringe containing molten rubidium cracked during a transfer. So, until that all heals up, the task of getting my 150 pound argon cylinder up the cellar stairs is a bridge too far. Also, I don't want to handle the thorium powder with open wounds.

Glad I had gloves on (although they burned through pretty quickly), the burn is purely thermal with no charred flesh or metal intrusions.

[Edited on 8/14/2017 by Dan Vizine]

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 14-8-2017 at 13:30

Ouch! Get well first, it'll still be there when you've healed up.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2017 at 16:35

Thanks. Weird that burns are supposed to be very painful but I didn't find it all that bad. The first night I took a hydrocodone and one the next day and Advil since. I'm working the hell out of the fingers to stop skin from tightening. Except for the stupid bandage, I'm not even aware of it. But it impedes my work and that pisses me off.

"All Your Children Are Poor Unfortunate Victims of Lies You Believe, a Plague Upon Your Ignorance that Keeps the Youth from the Truth They Deserve"...F. Zappa
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 15-8-2017 at 00:49

Are you sure it is second degree then?
A lack of pain is typical of a -third- degree burn. The surrounding nerves are damaged.
The burned area around it will be a second-degree burn, so it still causes some pain but less then you might expect from the injury.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-8-2017 at 02:54

Yes if you burn the skin just enough to irritated it and leave the nerves alive, it hurts like hell.

Do a more serous job so you have a white area with a black crusty top, then in that area the nerves are dead so they cannot send those nasty don’t do this again signals to your brain so its much less painful. As confirmed (yet again) by my recent accidental high voltage arc welding experience using my fingers as electrodes.

Perhaps its an evolutionary kindness. There is nothing more painful than a just burnt enough to hurt like hell burn. (this is dark humour I don't really think that about evolution)
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 25-8-2017 at 15:54

Sorry to hear that rubidium got you burned!

Dan, I have some experience with powder metallurgy. We used to make Pd/Pt/Rh/Re pellets that were 10 mm in size.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 19:57

Hi Lou and Everyone,

The Rb shipped yesterday. I'll send you a more detailed U2U.

The healing went really well. This miracle crème, Santyl, only eats dead skin. I used my hand throughout.

The first pressing of Th went well. 50 tons/sq. inch 2 hours.

I visited NIST! Wow!

start.jpg - 189kB wrench.jpg - 490kB thorium 1 g.jpg - 306kB

end.jpg - 293kB

[Edited on 9/8/2017 by Dan Vizine]

NIST neutrons.jpg - 201kB

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 07:26

By the way, anyone who obtained an ampoule of powder (at least 1 gram) from me...if you pay postage to and from, I'll process your samples for free as long as you tell me it's just for you, not re-sale. Your word is good enough for me.

This die is just too large for the smaller samples I sold.

Incidentally, decided to sacrifice my gb to handle only radioactive materials. Chinese sellers on e-Bay with commercially made gloveboxes can beat most of my gb-prepared samples and so why bang my head on the wall? Na & Li samples I prepared a few years back sold very, very quickly. Now, they languish.

The new production line is shown, minus the UHP argon, furnace vent tube and filter, pancake alpha detector (which will one of the first things this newer, more expensive form will finance) and large oil-filled bubbler for the glovebox.

I've found that the market is now asking approximately $4000/g for thorium. Check out United Nuclear, take the dimensions of their sample, calculate volume and multiply by density.....1/20 of a gram for $200. Lucitera now has one Lucite cube on eBay with a sliver of thorium for nearly $3800 if I recall correctly. I expect to sell shiny metallic thorium metal for 75% to 80% less than what other vendors charge

set-up.jpg - 3MB

Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2017 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by Fleaker  

Dan, I have some experience with powder metallurgy. We used to make Pd/Pt/Rh/Re pellets that were 10 mm in size.

Rh? That's pretty impressive. Thanks for the offer of technology sharing, but unless something really unexpected happens, this is nearly a done deal. This metal seems no more difficult than iron to consolidate to give a hard, hearty compact. Sintering in UHP argon may be almost as good as sintering in a vacuum.

Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2017 at 04:17

I think Os pellets more impressive.

Anyway, it all arrived in good order.

Check your PM box.

--The Dark Lord Sauron
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2017 at 18:17

I thought Rd is a very hard metal? Why do you think Os was challenging?

Anyway, it's IMPERATIVE that we talk about the samples before you open them or use them. I also forgot to return the Rb-containing residues.

The largest ampoule contained the superior product, it was the one I was transferring during the event. It was the one, confirming your original predictions re. purity, the one reduced by calcium, not lithium. It was absolutely solid at RT. Anyway...more in the U2U tomorrow.

Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2017 at 07:06

Rhodium is hard. In fact, we did a 999 rhodium wedding band and had to get new tooling to deal with it.

--The Dark Lord Sauron
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top