Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Source of distributed low amount of heat (45 watts over 100ft)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-8-2017 at 08:49

I have several hundred feet of this stuff, left over from installing heaters in gutters and down spouts- Use the leftovers for everything from keeping my chickens and ducks water liquid in winter to making home made truck battery heating blankets for our lovely winter weather.

https://www.gamut.com/p/self-regulating-heating-cable-wet-or...

This is self regulating heating tape, the resistance element is the plastic web between the stranded wire conductors. As the plastic heats, resistance increases and current decreases. No thermostat, no moving parts/control circuits to fail, no hot spots where it crosses itself, you can make runs of any desired length up to the capacity of the metal wire "back bone" (mine is specified 200' max run length)

About 6 watts/foot at -40 Farenheit in air for the stuff I have on hand. Surface of the jacket feels mildly warm at all times in air, ice will not freeze to energized cable in any environment I have used it in. Terminate your cuts with some adhesive lined heat shrink tube, same for insulating the feed end.

Look on ebay for cheap leftovers and scraps...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-8-2017 at 10:45

Nice stuff, but you can get a lot of Xmas lights for $1000.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-8-2017 at 06:19

Like I said, leftovers. Scraps from jobs, already paid for by clients- 14 years worth. Believe me, I have used resistance bulbs in an old cookie tin as well, I just have access to something a bit more durable, flexible (and safer?) now.

The industrial versions of this stuff, available in various heat and wattage output ranges for process pipes and tanks are also of interest...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 20-8-2017 at 22:51

Heat tape can be acquired for $0.50 - $1.00 per foot on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PN7HCG/

This is often only needed temporarily, to keep exposed pipes from freezing during construction for example. It's often used as a short-term solution for other problems too, so there are some really good deals if you look at what's available used on Amazon. Craigslist too, for that matter.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top