Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Need images for new home chemistry book
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2008 at 08:16

I think it this is great progress.

I think these kind of things really help, the more people who see it the better.

I think still the best thing to do is write a letter altogether to the goverment, signed by all the home chemists in that specific country, explaining the situation and having them consider freedom for home chemists or at least understand us. I would not care if they would leave us restriction, for example being forbidden to own T+ chemicals.. I can live with that, if our hobby is accepted.
pantone159
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 4-9-2008 at 15:29

I just picked up a copy of this book.

I noticed it at Fry's, and picked up a copy for $19.99. I haven't had a chance to read any of it yet.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 12:08

I was killing time at Barnes & Noble bookstore this morning and noticed a copy of Thompson's book. It looks very nice, well-thought out, and detailed. Would be very useful to anyone starting a home lab, and to homeschoolers. This book will go a long way in helping the cause of the home chemist. I believe it will also encourage the creation of more suppliers of chemicals for home use.

Thompson has apparently turned this demand into a little business for himself: www.homechemlab.com

I wish him the best of success.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 13:43

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Thompson has apparently turned this demand into a little business for himself: www.homechemlab.com
And just within the last few weeks, he's working with Make magazine to do introductory chemistry sets.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-9-2009 at 18:04

It's inspiring to read the readers' comments on Amazon. Most are very positive and thoughtful. However, there's one comment that brought me back to reality, sadly:

Quote:

Just one word of advice... packing this book as reading material on a plane may *not* be the best idea... it'd be easy for someone to get the wrong idea as to what you're up to... :)

groan

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 28-9-2009 at 08:28

I took my copy on the plane with me and it was an international flight to Colombia no less:cool:. It is geared to beginners but highly organized. Considering the book was only $19.99, I would say the part of how to fill out a lab notebook and the section of quantitative analysis alone was worth the price. And all the lab procedures can be adapted to more advanced ones.

[Edited on 9/28/2009 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2009 at 14:09

Does any one know if it's out in the UK?

Edit - It sure is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Guide-Home-Chemistry-Exp...

[Edited on 28-9-2009 by Mossydie]

[Edited on 28-9-2009 by Mossydie]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top