Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What to do with Halon 1011
wotaen
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2017 at 10:47
What to do with Halon 1011

Hi There,

I was given an old fire extinguisher with Bromochloromethane. It's a boring red cylinder, which I intend to use as a poor man crucible. It's still at least half-way full with Halon 1011. It's not particularly under pressure (I tried and it drips) and it should pour our just easily. I wanted to put it in some old glass bottle for "later".

So my question is...apart from extinguishing fires and destroying ozone layer, what is it good for? Any nice demonstrations? I heard about a graduated cylinder turned horizontally with water and BCM sloshing around.

Also should the vapour pressure be an issue if it's inside that glass bottle?

Would you keep it or just give it to someone to dispose properly?

Thanks
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2017 at 11:13

I'd try to hang on to that.
I don't know what you'd use it for, but it would be awfully hard to get more at a reasonable price.
Why not just keep it a while?
If somebody on here ends up needing some for something they'd be damn glad to get it, you could probably make a good trade for reagents or equipment, or just really make somebody's day.

With a BP of 68 it ought to be okay in a strong glass bottle with a good cap. I'd be tempted to try a Schott bottle, but I don't know if it would be a problem with the lid material.
They used to store ethyl chloride in glass bottles and that's got to have a higher vapor pressure.

Go To Top