Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Advice for a 15 year old interested in amateur chemistry?
DionSukhram6
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-10-2017 at 13:04

I'm actually 15 (almost 16 though) too! It wasn't too difficult to get my parents to let me do some amateur chemistry in the house since I've already taken AP Chemistry and several other classes with high grades in all of them(I think that really helps with the convincing part) so they agreed to give me a few hundred dollars per year to buy chemicals and equipment along with however much of my own money I want to spend. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you learn everything first and I also try to explain everything that I buy or do and I've been doing it for about the last year. I started by just playing with some really common simple chemicals, like have already been suggested but I've been starting to get into more complex stuff like complicated organic syntheses. I think one of the most fun things though is probably making or purifying your own basic chemicals then using those to do more complicated things later. A few good sources would be just like hardware stores or even in grocery stores for common things, but you might also want to look on eBay or for pottery suppliers since they often have tons of chemicals, even pretty uncommon ones, for very low prices that you can use to make a bunch of other, more useful compounds. The most important think to keep in mind probably is to remember that we can't get everything we would like to while we're still pretty young so i would recommend just setting up a small space and getting only the things that are absolutely essential first because you can always do more later.
18thTimeLucky
Hazard to Self

Mood: 0 Kelvin and still won't crystallise from solution

[*] posted on 28-10-2017 at 15:19

Well you now have a few months' worth of advice, reaganf! Sorry if we are overloading you but like I said everybody is friendly here and want to give their advice as they remember how they journeyed into chemistry. You don't find a home chemist who isn't passionate about what they do! We would love to see any experiments you do if we have not scared you off yet. Also if you do not mind answering, like NEMO-Chemistry asked, what country do you live in as this gives us some idea on the laws in your area (e.g. extracting red phosphorus from match boxes is easy and fun but (tell me if I am wrong) it is illegal to own red phosphorus in America but here in the UK it is legal.

Okay, sorry, I'll leave you be now, reaganf! :)
The clocks are going backward so I'm going to go spend the extra hour purifying some activated charcoal I found in pill form at a shop (why would anybody take this?!?!).

[Edited on 28-10-2017 by 18thTimeLucky?]

Yep, I have a chemistry blog!
18thtimelucky.wordpress.com

"Amateur chemistry does seem like being in a relationship with someone very beautiful and seductive but has expensive taste, farts a lot and doesn't clean up after themselves, but you love them anyway" - a dear friend
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-10-2017 at 16:43

One note on equipment, the most important equipment to get first is personal protection in the form of eye protection. Burns on hands and fingers hurt, but not normally life changing. But it dosnt take much to take your sight away, and that really ruins alot of transition metal chemistry :D.

Seriously though, condensers look cool but personal protection equipment sends all the right signals and gives you many years doing chemistry. I am only 17, i am risk adverse. Alot of my over caution has come from reading some the horrs within this forum, people your age who didnt get any older.

People older who cant do much chemistry, because a single mistake changed there lives. Chemistry is perfectly safe if you have the correct protection and correct mind set. I also second Woelens site!! It shows just how much fun small scale can be, you can keep your parents amazed for hours really safely.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 11:59

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
One note on equipment, the most important equipment to get first is personal protection in the form of eye protection. Burns on hands and fingers hurt, but not normally life changing. But it dosnt take much to take your sight away, and that really ruins alot of transition metal chemistry :D.

Seriously though, condensers look cool but personal protection equipment sends all the right signals and gives you many years doing chemistry. I am only 17, i am risk adverse. Alot of my over caution has come from reading some the horrs within this forum, people your age who didnt get any older.

People older who cant do much chemistry, because a single mistake changed there lives. Chemistry is perfectly safe if you have the correct protection and correct mind set. I also second Woelens site!! It shows just how much fun small scale can be, you can keep your parents amazed for hours really safely.

I second this.

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2017 at 16:50

I heartedly agree that safety in the laboratory is a prime consideration. The minimum, in my opinion, should b safety eyeglasses, a fire extinguisher, and a safety shield (which you can make from a sheet of polycarbonate - not plexiglass - plastic. But the most important safety equipment is your brain, asking and answering some of the following questions:

what do I do in the case of fire?
what do I do if I get something on my skin? in my eye(s)?
what do I do if something explodes? (this should happen only very rarely if you have done your homework)

Chemistry is fascinating, but is not just adding A to B in some random fashion. A good chemist has a very good idea of what to expect when he adds A to B, and thus can anticipate most likely outcomes. At your age, I strongly repeat my above recommendation concerning studying qualitative inorganic analytical chemistry. Such a study would be a great way to structure your adventures into chemistry on a small scale while minimizing costs and danger, yet introducing you to a great amount of chemistry.
Good luck
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 31-10-2017 at 00:09

Also never forget to have proper ventilation. Even though you may thing gases you are dealing with are quite "safe".
Chronic exposure really sucks.

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 13:03

I think that growing crystals for beginning leads to nothing. Making complexes is something more but still not much. I think that You should start making easy syntheses because only way to learn how to treat with chemicals such like acids or organic compounds are to treat with them. As long as you are follow safety rules and know what You do it shouldnt do much to You. Unless you dont have any plans and want to do few interesting reactions.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 1-11-2017 at 14:09

Things you and your family should known up front. Invest in safety gear to protect your lungs and a face mask to reduce the risk of chemical burns. Good gloves and lab coat to reduce risk of poisoning yourself. A blast shield is a good idea.

Also, check out the legality of labs in your particular state. If prohibited, this could impair the nature and amount of investment in standard lab equipment.

But most important, as there are various concerns about illegal drug manufacture, equipment purchase, for example, could trigger a visit from local police. Strongly advise a lab book recording all experiments, a clean lab area and very important, label all compounds. Failure to do the latter can (depending on your jurisdiction) be a serious violation (in essence, a way to legally arrest suspected drug cooks). If you happen to create any energetic compounds (possible explosive), you must use or destroy the compound as they can only legally be stored in a magazine (a bunker).

Avoid making very smelly compounds if you have neighbors!

If you do get into trouble, my experience with jury service suggests that relying on even a rationale assessment of your situation is not that likely. My personal observation is that most jurists cannot wait to go home, do not pay attention to evidence, are quick to judge based on personal prejudices (race, family members employed by police or harmed by the police, being or related to a crime victim, recollection of TV shows,....), so avoid juries, get a good lawyer (requires with bail a lot of money) and a fair judge.

[Edited on 1-11-2017 by AJKOER]
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 2-11-2017 at 12:23

I agree with AJKOER safety gear is well worth the cost. Buy a good respirator and splash resistant mask/googles. I had the misfortune of inhaling a full breath of chlorine. I felt as if I was underwater and each breath was filled with pain. After that I made it a point to keep a gas mask near my work space. Well your hands can take a beating from acid or burns your lungs and eyes are much more sensitive, never let harm come to them.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 05:28

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
I had the misfortune of inhaling a full breath of chlorine. I felt as if I was underwater and each breath was filled with pain.

Try Chloramine...
And Nitrogen Dioxide...
Both are worse, don't mess with them!
I use an M-10M FFGM, and have had the same filters for two years. I'm terrified to use it because I don't know if the filters are just all used up and I'm just inhaling all sorts of crap, but I don't realize it. Hopefully it isn't acting as a sort of Placebo!
You know, I think I should make a forum post on that 'cause it's really concerning me.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 16:07

Hnuh?

Fifteen years old, and you are not interested in explosives or anything extremely dangerous?

What's wrong with you? This doesn't sound normal.

Other than that, I suggest you study as much chemistry as possible at school.

It's even free! :D
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 16:14

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
Hnuh?

Fifteen years old, and you are not interested in explosives or anything extremely dangerous?

What's wrong with you? This doesn't sound normal.

Other than that, I suggest you study as much chemistry as possible at school.

It's even free! :D

Well he posted 4 times in one day then nothing, so i guess he was interested in things that go bang, or other risky experiments :D.

What we think? Darwin chalk up?
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 17:16

Maybe he/she has discovered the opposite sex!
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 07:05

Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  
Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
I had the misfortune of inhaling a full breath of chlorine. I felt as if I was underwater and each breath was filled with pain.

Try Chloramine...
And Nitrogen Dioxide...
Both are worse, don't mess with them!

Oh yep, I had a small but concentrated release of NO2 a few months ago and suffered for about two weeks, felt like a real bad flu or bout of pneumonia. Couldn't sleep most of those nights because I was too busy coughing up gunk so top that with sleep deprivation. Nitric acid really does a number on your mucous membranes, and it affects you for a long time too, pretty sure it's still affecting my breathing to this day but I already had asthma so it's nothing I'm not used to.

[Edited on 4-11-2017 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 14:16

I dont know what are you saying. Some time ago i was making fuming nitric acid and distilling it. After all i took flask and put it on side. But later i opened it and accidentally took full breath of hot no2. I felt terrible but after hyperventilation it was quite good. The day after my lungs were allright. For me HCl or chlorine is worse.
Quaff
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 18:00

Quote: Originally posted by reaganf  
First of all i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask in. I'm 15 and interested in doing some hobby chemistry, Any experiments that might be good for a beginner to try? Also what would be a good way to introduce the idea of amateur chemistry to my parents? Thanks!

Also i'm sorry if i'm coming off as a kewl, i'm not interested in explosives or anything extremely dangerous.

[Edited on 27-10-2017 by reaganf]

I'd suggest first to get aquainted with lab safety, and safe storage of even simple things. Good goggles and some sort of fume removal setup possibly necessary. Best is to work at HS chem lab. Put safety #1

Metals chemistry is really cool, you can make mirrors, refine precious metals, make homeopathic vitamins, electroplate gold and other metals, precipitate and manufacture catalytic metals as fine black powders such as what is in catalytic converters, and do experiments in the field of corrosion. Corrosion costs society billions of dollars a year !! Try to avoid working with mercury, it is a volatile neurotoxin and is easily inhaled.

A really good project might be to electrolyze water into hydrogen and oxygen in a round bottom flask equipped with a distillation condensor, inside of which is placed some platinum that is of such small size it appears black. The hydrogen and oxygen will combine to re-form water of the highest purity. CAVEAT is that mixtures of H2 and O2 are explosive, so the volume would need to be kept to a minimum and the gases reacted pretty quickly after their formation. Consult your teacher, I'm interested in this because I'm interested in the physical properties of extremely extremely pure H2O. Whatever you do, be careful and put safety first !!

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 03:21

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Maybe he/she has discovered the opposite sex!

Wait? What? Do you mean those, "girls" people seem to always be talking about. They are just a urban myth!

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
reaganf
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 11:37

I'm back! Not dead yet, I've found a well ventilated lab space in our shed, parents said I could have a small corner to myself! (Big shed). Also, live in El Paso County Colorado, should give you a general idea of the laws I'll be dealing with, live in the country so nosy neighbors shouldn't be a problem, still trying to decide on a first experiment! So many to choose from! But still haven't discovered that mythical creature known as a "girl".
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 11:56

But still haven't discovered that mythical creature known as a "girl".

Well, you're not alone in that regard by coming to a forum like this. I'd assume the vast majority of us are introverts. I know I sure am.

Diachrynic
Hazard to Others

Mood: zenosyne

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 12:47

Well, you're not alone in that regard by coming to a forum like this. I'd assume the vast majority of us are introverts. I know I sure am.

That makes two of us.

But seriously, getting turned down three times is enough. Doing it again would be the definition of insanity.

Anyway, it seems to be a common trend that scientists are likely to be introverted. I have no hard numbers though. *shrugging*

we apologize for the inconvenience
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 13:30

Quote: Originally posted by Diachrynic  

That makes two of us.

But seriously, getting turned down three times is enough. Doing it again would be the definition of insanity.

*shakes head*, Why, when I was your age....

If you're fifteen, or in high school, fine- just give it time.

If you're an adult, then get online. There's dozens of dating sites- as long as you're honest in your description of yourself, the internet can connect you to people who may find you interesting. You're a scientist- you need a sample size of much larger than three before declaring that no women could ever be interested in you.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Diachrynic
Hazard to Others

Mood: zenosyne

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 13:42

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

If you're an adult, then get online. There's dozens of dating sites- as long as you're honest in your description of yourself, the internet can connect you to people who may find you interesting. You're a scientist- you need a sample size of much larger than three before declaring that no women could ever be interested in you.

Oh, I never said that no women could ever be interested in me. In fact, I established a relationship three times (which are the three times I mentioned).
However, none of those relationships were lasting. And getting rejected three times is... well, really discouraging.

It's the first one by the way.

Thank you for cheering me up. I am afraid though derailing the thread into off-topic-territory...

we apologize for the inconvenience
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 14:07

Oh, I never said that no women could ever be interested in me. In fact, I established a relationship three times (which are the three times I mentioned).
However, none of those relationships were lasting. And getting rejected three times is... well, really discouraging.

It's the first one by the way.

Thank you for cheering me up. I am afraid though derailing the thread into off-topic-territory...

Could you post up your lab notes on those experiments :D.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 14:14

It is better to have Loved and lost than never to have Loved at all.

Electrons all say that.

18thTimeLucky
Hazard to Self

Mood: 0 Kelvin and still won't crystallise from solution

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 15:04

That makes two of us.

Oh no, am I doing something wrong? I suddenly do not feel like a scientist anymore. I'm sure she would understand if I left her to become 'more like a chemist' though, she already knows she is second place in my life after my beautiful hotplate stirrer.

Yep, I have a chemistry blog!
18thtimelucky.wordpress.com

"Amateur chemistry does seem like being in a relationship with someone very beautiful and seductive but has expensive taste, farts a lot and doesn't clean up after themselves, but you love them anyway" - a dear friend
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top