Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: reuse of HDPE pesticide jugs
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2017 at 18:57
reuse of HDPE pesticide jugs

I have a few HDPE jugs from the 70s that used to contain a viscous liquid, glyphosate (Roundup). Their lids have 3-4 threaded rows and as such form an excellent seal, not to mention their square shape and wall thickness. They're the best! However, I'm concerned about leaching/impregnation of the plastic. I will distill any solvent that I store in them before use, and have obviously cleaned it repeatedly with soap and solvents. Also from what I have read it is "nearly" nontoxic to humans, which I could scarcely believe:o

On the side of the jug is stamped "DO NOT REUSE". I'm not going to take it on hikes or anything... What do you guys think? Just wondering if anybody else has reused containers containing potentially dangerous things in the containers first life.
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 01:55

Basically all my reagent bottles are HDPE. Sulphuric acid, toluene, sodium hydroxide, 40% formic acid, isopropyl alcohol.. They all fare well, although the H2SO4 bottle does have dark bands presumably from the dye or whatever is contaminating it (it's a drain cleaner, not reagent grade but I mainly just use it for generating other acids or sulphates which are both purified).

However, I wouldn't use 40-50 year old bottles, especially if it tells you not to reuse them. HDPE is cheap and it'll be worth your while to just source some more, either empty or if you don't need them right now, buy some other reagents and reuse those bottles if there isn't any noticeable discolouration or change in the texture.

If you really want to use the bottles again then you'll have to test the plastic with whatever you want to put in it, which may require sacrificing one of the bottles. Put a small piece of the plastic in the liquid and bring it to a boil, or up to 100C (HDPE melts in the range of 120-180C, in this case towards the latter) for a few minutes. Let it cool down, take out the plastic and wash it with water, then compare to an untouched piece - if there's no difference then you're good to go, since leaching and such would occur a lot faster the hotter it is, obviously. HDPE is a fairly resilient plastic and can hold most chemicals, so I'd be more concerned with how the bottles were stored and how brittle they may be since all polymers degrade over time.

[Edited on 9-11-2017 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 08:48

The glyphosate wouldn't worry me but a 40 year hold HDPE container certainty would.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 11:40

Is a 40 year old glyphosate container a historical artefact?
The stuff was only invented about 1970 and marketed in '74.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 19:13

HDPE containers cost under a $1 each, just buy some new ones, any over a few years are a liability. Or buy gallon jugs of anything less toxic at walmart, and use the contents and then reuse the jug. I get all sorts of things in them, and put used motor oil and antifreeze in them.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 19:24

Vinegar bottles are thick, transparent, HDPE, and the gunk that comes in them is useful, nontoxic, food grade as well. They take a lot of physical abuse. One of the more useful commonly available and safe containers I use.

Garden slacked lime + vinegar is a good way to use the contents if you have no other use for it. Calcium acetate is wonderfully useful for tomatoes/squash blossom rot. Quick non chloride Ca to plants.

CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 10:16

Thank you all for the suggestions! The quick and informative feedback is really encouraging. This is a great community, and I look forward to being a part of it.

Unionised, I must have read what you did. I really didn't have any idea when the bottles were new but I figured that date was a good worst-case scenario, for arguments' sake. They must not be nearly that old because they don't seem aged or brittle in the slightest. Maybe they've just been stored very well... Regardless, I will be recycling them in favor for some 1-gallon new jugs with more innocuous contents. I have plenty of vinegar and lemon ammonia lying around.

Thanks for the ideas on how to use the stuff I don't need!

Go To Top