Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Could you convert Salicylic Acid into Anthranilic Acid?
Yuchi
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

wink.gif posted on 13-11-2017 at 04:07
Could you convert Salicylic Acid into Anthranilic Acid?

Is there any way to synthesize Anthranilic Acid from cheap OTC stuff like Salicylic Acid ?
gdflp
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
13-11-2017 at 04:10
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 05:55

I found this article for a one pot conversion of phenols to anilines, it requires an electron withdrawing group on the ring which -COOH is fortunately. It doesn't give specific positions though so the different isomers may behave differently, you'll have to look into it more.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040403913...

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 07:30

If you need a source of salicylic acid for this reaction, this looks like it could be a straightforward one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYO8H0E/

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 13:40

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
If you need a source of salicylic acid for this reaction, this looks like it could be a straightforward one:

In what way is someone selling methyl anthranilate a source of salicylic acid?
You could probably convert it, but it's hardly "straightforward"
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 13-11-2017 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

In what way is someone selling methyl anthranilate a source of salicylic acid?
You could probably convert it, but it's hardly "straightforward"

It's much easier to convert it straight to anthranilic acid.....

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 12:34

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

Sometimes if someone posts requests for a questionable synthesis, I'll answer in a way that would confuse someone that has a poor understanding of chemistry, but would be much more useful to someone that had a stronger understanding of it. This was obviously one of those times.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Aqua-regia1
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 12:26

In my country is a saying: the soup cost more than meat. It is true for this questionable synthesis. Turn back to old synthesis route: phtalimide + bleach. Both is cheap and easy to get or preparing.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 13:04

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

Sometimes if someone posts requests for a questionable synthesis, I'll answer in a way that would confuse someone that has a poor understanding of chemistry, but would be much more useful to someone that had a stronger understanding of it. This was obviously one of those times.

What questionable request synthesis was posted?

Also, can you explain why you thought that methyl anthranilate might be a straightforward starting point for salicylic acid?

[Edited on 15-11-17 by unionised]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-11-2017 at 13:23

Sometimes if someone posts requests for a questionable synthesis, I'll answer in a way that would confuse someone that has a poor understanding of chemistry ...

Strange behavior - all the OP is asking for is a Yes or No, presumably with the hope of a Yes plus a procedure.

The answers to unionised's questions would be fascinating.

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 07:12

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
What questionable request synthesis was posted?

My guess would be a new user inquiring about the synthesis of a DEA List I precursor, no information as to why, and no conveyed knowledge of chemistry let alone for the sought after 'cheap OTC' reaction. It does have plenty of other uses though, so it wouldn't be fair to assume malintent but I can understand the suspicion.

[Edited on 16-11-2017 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 09:15

I am old enough to remember when bootleg methaqualone was a huge thing in the USA, and probably the rest of the English speaking world. It sucked, groggy but still mobile people all over the place, all to frequently behind the wheel of a vehicle.

My attitude at the time was, hell, we already have alcohol, isn't that enough of a depressant user/addict annoyance and social issue... And that the lack of much cultural background on dealing with the new chemical, combined with aggressive (black AND white market) marketing was creating a cluster fuck.

I personally knew people who had multiple 55 gallon drums of the damn things, they made more of them in Mexico and Colombia than Rorer/Lemon/whoever did, and THOSE legally sanctioned drug pushers certainly did the usual USA drug company evasion dance of "It's a LEGAL drug, it's not OUR responsibility to worry about how much of it we are selling or why". They LOVE an addictive substance with a medical fig leaf, profit$!

But the question here DID make me spend some time to learn about new (to me) chemistry, and research some previously unknown OTC chemical resources. GOOSE REPELLANT?! Who knew...

Shit is a smelly nuisance in the barn, but a valuable fertilizer on the back 40.

[Edited on 16-11-2017 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-11-2017 at 12:17

Been sniffing the nitro to test to for purity again eh ?

Your silver star should have arrived by now. Hope you liked it.

[Edited on 16-11-2017 by aga]

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 17-11-2017 at 17:29

Quaaludes? Not around anymore.

Not legal at all in the USA anymore. At least....not as I recall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methaqualone

Probably not too bad to use one, once in a while.

It's just that so many folks can't say no; they don't seem to have an "off" switch.

They wouldn't dream of throwing a birthday party everyday, but they will indeed indulge them selves in dangerous drugs everyday, if such drugs are readily at hand.

[Edited on 18-11-2017 by zed]

Go To Top