Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fresh, minty smell from addition of Cu(OH)2 to con. NaOH soln.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 21-11-2017 at 10:34
Fresh, minty smell from addition of Cu(OH)2 to con. NaOH soln.

Upon dissolving Copper (II) Hydroxide in to a hot, strong solution of Sodium Hydroxide, a solution of blue Sodium Cuprate is formed. Along side this, I noticed that there was a fresh, minty smell which was very similar to that of a sweetened mint tea. I replicated this experiment three times in total, the first being with tap water, the second with filtered water, and the last with distilled water. Both my NaOH and Cu(OH)2 were pure, and the same results were achieved each time - that same smell. There were no organic compounds present, and I did these experiments both indoors and outdoors. No change. Try it yourself and let me know if you experience the same thing.

Thanks,
T/R

[Edited on 21-11-2017 by Tetra]

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 21-11-2017 at 17:28

NaOH tends to absorb acidic molecules from the air, mostly CO2 but also whatever else happens to be floating about. When an acid is added, or an amphoteric salt like CuO, the absorbed molecules can be released. Do you use a minty-scented air freshener, by any chance?

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 21-11-2017 at 21:50

Or maybe you were making some methyl salicylate around the same time you were performing this reaction? A small amount of methyl salicylate, after all, is still detectable by one's nose if airborne.

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2017 at 15:38

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
NaOH tends to absorb acidic molecules from the air, mostly CO2 but also whatever else happens to be floating about. When an acid is added, or an amphoteric salt like CuO, the absorbed molecules can be released. Do you use a minty-scented air freshener, by any chance?

Absolutely no air freshener anywhere near the workspace. It could mask something deadly.

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2017 at 15:39

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
Or maybe you were making some methyl salicylate around the same time you were performing this reaction? A small amount of methyl salicylate, after all, is still detectable by one's nose if airborne.

I haven't made any Methyl Salicylate for years, and have never successfully isolated any. Like I stated, I did this both indoors and outdoors, with the same result. :)

Go To Top