Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nano Aluminum: 30-100nm Aluminum powder, nano sized Hafnium carbide powder- Any interest?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 18:40
Nano Aluminum: 30-100nm Aluminum powder, nano sized Hafnium carbide powder- Any interest?

I have been offered nano Al powder, 30 to 100nm size.

Also HfC in Nano size, specifics of particle size not yet confirmed.

I do not require even the smallest unit size required from this supplier for my own experiments (thes things are more of an exotic catalyst/high performance ignition material component than a primary fuel at their going prices!), but I would consider ordering if there is enough interest .

Anyone. interested? And if so, what is this stuff worth. What would be considered an attractive price by any who WANT to experiment with these materials... Has to be enough to make the process of repacking and shipping worth the time, it's an order of magnitude or more expensive than German dark Al for the nano Al, and similarly expensive as related to fine Zr or Ti powders offered from existing small quantity suppliers for the HfC.

If interested, please U2U me. I need to research correct shipping procedures and I do not think it will be possible to ship outside of USA.

[Edited on 11-12-2017 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 21:16

What is hafnium carbide even used for? I just looked it up and all that I could find was that it has one of the highest melting temperatures of any substance, but its high price prevents it from being used in any common applications for refractory materials. Nothing whatsoever about its chemistry. I'd still be kind of tempted to buy a small sample just so I could have something with hafnium in it.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 21:58

If the hafnium carbide price is decent, I might go in for a bit just to add to my element collection.Might be an interesting precursor to hafnium salts if it can be made to dissolve.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 13:43

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
What is hafnium carbide even used for? I just looked it up and all that I could find was that it has one of the highest melting temperatures of any substance, but its high price prevents it from being used in any common applications for refractory materials. Nothing whatsoever about its chemistry. I'd still be kind of tempted to buy a small sample just so I could have something with hafnium in it.

Come on you know me, why else would I be interested in a chemical?

IT IS FLAMMABLE and burns very hot too.

High temperature flames (old thread necromancy)

I had posted this in energetic earlier, but here is a link to a paper on group IV metal compounds as high temperature low(er) sensitivity pyrotechnic fuels.

Attachment: Ti, Zr & Hf compounds as pyrotechnic fuels.pdf (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 249 times

If people just want element collection samples of Ti, Zr or Hf and they do not mind buying these as either the sponge form direct from the refining process or powders in smaller size particle sizes such that they could be used as fuels? Those are a possibility too. Not in pretty, shiny ingot form for your wall, but in powders sized for pyro use.

[Edited on 11-12-2017 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 08:29

Is this material of interest to any?

40 nanometer size Aluminum powder, 99.9% pure

Attachment: Al 40nm.pdf (77kB)
This file has been downloaded 268 times

[Edited on 6-2-2018 by Bert]

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 21:34

Bert,

I am interested in both of those compounds!

I could use 10-20grams of the 40nm Al... careful though, a Chinese manufacture once sent me 300um spherical Al claiming to be sub micron, they sent me a new package and i have not even checked that one yet.

We can talk over U2U. The HfC nano would be great for sensitizing AN :D
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 21:49

U2U coming on Al.

The HfC has not worked out yet, suppliers want to sell 1kg minimum, for over $5,000 delivered in nano grades. Not going there for an untested material!

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 20:50

Huh, sky spring nano would sell me that much for 1 dollar a gram, but that is for 100nm.... but they are in the US

That seems really steep.... I do question the benefit of 40nm over 100nm, definitively more oxide as you know. But yes 5000 is way way too much from china, spent a long time on Alibaba and several companies offered better rates. At that price lets buy a planetary mill, small ones are 2000...Damn could you imagine :)

100nm Zr :D:D:D I will show you flash, albeit nano joule sensitive static flash lol. Actually, screw that 100nm ZrH4 or AlH4 :D:D
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 11:46
FAIR WARNING:

Particles less than 10 microns are not going to get filtered out in your airways. They are going to reach the gas exchange area in your LUNGS.

•Particles < 1 μm can penetrate really deep into the lungs, all the way into the alvioli, and are potentially very problematic for human health.

Any particle of a size to make it all the way down to the alveoli, past the cillia in airways that try to move crap up and out will be staying there, unless your body has a mechanism to remove them (macrophages, white blood cells will try. But the nano particles can dammage THEM too, see the US military study attached). Your body wasn't designed breathe fine Aluminum powder, so this may be with you for life.

After looking up data on this stuff, and ending up surfing a whole lot of information on nanoparticles in general:

Pretty much anything reduced to this size range is bad to breathe. Some of the chemicals available in nano size are VERY bad to breathe or ingest, in microgram quantities. Even Aluminum oxide, and certainly Aluminum in the 1-100nm range.

If you are using this stuff, do not just open it and jam a scoop in the bottle. Hood, negative pressure, discharge air someplace safe or scrubbed. Personal protective equipment. It's an interesting material, got all sorts of possibilities, including ways to kill you German black never thought of.

Attachment: Slides_Particles.pdf (4.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 439 times

Attachment: ADA446266.pdf (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 353 times

[Edited on 10-2-2018 by Bert]

Go To Top