Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lead-free casting pewter (92% Sn, 1.5% Cu, 6.5% Sb) for $6/lb
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 19-12-2017 at 18:42
Lead-free casting pewter (92% Sn, 1.5% Cu, 6.5% Sb) for $6/lb

I'm helping my uncle at his pewter / sterling silver manufacturing company, that he got as part of a bankruptcy settlement ten years ago or so. They buy pewter sheets, tubes, and rods, use that to make stuff, then melt down the scrap in a melting pot, and use that to make castings. But they generate more scrap than they use for casting. Pewter melts at around 300˚C, although to cast it, it should be at least 330˚C so that it fills the whole cavity before hardening. I'd imagine it could be used in a solder pot too, since the composition is very similar to my lead-free solder.

The way they ship stuff (UPS Ground), shipping is cheaper to the northeastern US, but certainly possible to other places. Considering tin is $10/lb on eBay at least, and not that different for pewter, I figured I'd extend an offer here. It's a good metal for making low-temperature metal castings that are reasonably durable, or as a source of tin metal, for reactions that aren't sensitive to copper or antimony.

If interested, tell me how much you want, and I'll figure out the shipping cost next chance I get. Also let me know if you prefer high or low surface area, ie an ingot or turnings or whatever.

Sterling silver might be possible in the future, at least the scrap, although they can resell that a lot closer to spot price locally.

[Edited on 12/20/17 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 24-10-2018 at 20:55

I'm just bumping this thread to inform anyone interested that this sale will basically continue indefinitely. Had one SM user contact my brother, and he sold him ten pounds for $5/lb plus UPS ground shipping. This is a company that ships out orders daily via UPS, and they're glad to be able to get rid of their pewter scrap if they have buyers. U2U me, and I can provide my brother's cell phone number so you can contact him directly.

For anyone wanting to make stannous chloride, this pewter alloy works really well for that. Just wash the turnings with soapy water and dry them, then add them to a loosely-sealed vessel of strong hydrochloric acid. The antimony and copper won't go into solution as long as there's tin metal present.

Pewter is also a great metal for just casting random pieces of hardware. Carve your part out of wax, put it in plaster (or rubber/silicone), let it harden, then poke a hole in it and heat the outside until the wax all runs out. Then just use the hollow space left behind by the wax as a mold to cast the pewter.

[Edited on 10/25/18 by Melgar]

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2018 at 13:38

Sure, I would be interested. I have sent a U2U regarding the shipping.
AgCollector
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 10:00
Pewter Update

I've had good results using this pewter to 1) make SnCl2 and 2) purify the tin out of it via electrorefining (shows as 99.9+% pure!).

Go To Top