Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Nickel salts and compounds
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 10:02

Well the answer is....Nothing! I got a cracked tube but thats about it, i honestly thought hot Nickel and iodine would react. Hmmm

I cant make any Iodine monochloride at the moment, i bet it would react with that :D.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 23:41

Maybe if you use powdered metal, the reaction works better.
Nickel has a tendency to form a thin protective layer which prevents further reaction. For this reason it is even possible to store fluorine in a nickel container. The formed layer of NiF2 protects the underlying metal. This almost certainly also is true for NiCl2 and NiBr2. Maybe it also is the case for NiI2, but I can imagine that this halide is not sufficiently stable and simply decomposes on heating. I have no personal experience with that though.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 02:52

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Maybe if you use powdered metal, the reaction works better.
Nickel has a tendency to form a thin protective layer which prevents further reaction. For this reason it is even possible to store fluorine in a nickel container. The formed layer of NiF2 protects the underlying metal. This almost certainly also is true for NiCl2 and NiBr2. Maybe it also is the case for NiI2, but I can imagine that this halide is not sufficiently stable and simply decomposes on heating. I have no personal experience with that though.

I closed the tube with a heavy glass thimble on top, i had a tiny amount of water in the tube. Looking at it afterwards something did react a little and I also saw a few red drips.

Some of the powder is alot finer than the rest, i will separate this out. I could do with a decent ball mill! That way I can keep the bulk in larger flakes and the mill it as I need it,

I am also storing it in a pretty airtight container. I will try again later
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 11:25

You might also find that it works better in a solvent that will dissolve iodine (I've reacted zinc with iodine using methanol as the solvent, and have vague memories of trying it with iron and possibly nickel).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
You might also find that it works better in a solvent that will dissolve iodine (I've reacted zinc with iodine using methanol as the solvent, and have vague memories of trying it with iron and possibly nickel).

That I can go do now! I have Methanol handy. A couple of coffee things i want to do as well. Then i got to clear the lab up!

Really i should get it sorted first, i got the inspection coming up. This is where a dishwasher for the lab would be cool.

Not good! Maybe its way too cold in the lab, going to have a clean and tidy and reflux this.

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by NEMO-Chemistry]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top