Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sodium chloride choice for perchlorate
lalalympo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 07:31
sodium chloride choice for perchlorate

I've recently ordered a titanium substrate lead dioxide anode from alibaba and it will arrive soon. I'm planning to make a sodium perchlorate cell and let the cell run directly from sodium chloride to sodium perchlorate. I still have to buy sodium chloride, I've read regular table salt doesn't work because of the iodine, but I've found vacuum salt on the internet that's really cheap and has does not have iodine. However this salt cointains the anti-caking agent sodium ferrocyanide. Will this anti-caking agent interfere with the electrolysis or have a negative effects on the elctrodes?
Plunkett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 07:47

I do not know about vacuum salt and sodium ferrocyanide, but many grocery stores sell "free flowing salt" which is ~98% NaCl with the remainder being an insoluble anticaking agent like sodium aluminate, no iodine. I do not know how you would remove the anticaking agents because they have an incredibly small particle size, but I do not think they would interfere with the reaction.

[Edited on 14-1-2018 by Plunkett]
TheMrbunGee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorising

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 08:11

Recrystallization worked for me, small particles settle on the bottom of solution within a day or two. decant, reduce water vol. and crystallize! Good luck!

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 11:04

Try canning & pickling salt, cheap and has no anti cake or Iodine.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 11:21

I believe kosher salt contains no iodine, and depending on the brand, may not even have any added anticaking agents. I’m not sure on the levels of other minerals though, you’ll have to check that yourself, but you should be able to find it in local stores.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 11:27

Dishwasher or water softener salt is probably available at your local supermarket. It has no additives.

Go To Top