Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heating Element for DIY Hotplate
Pupper
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2018 at 01:01
Heating Element for DIY Hotplate

Hello everyone
I'm trying to make myself a hotplate, but I don't know what to use for the heating element. I've thought of Peltier modules but they don't seem very efficient. I've also considered heating elements but most of them are too big and expensive.
Should I make my own heating element using nichrome wire?
(Sorry if this has already been posted... I did do a search but didn't find anything)
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 23-1-2018 at 01:47

The conventional hot plate I opened had nichrome wire ribbon (flattened wire) wound around a mica sheet, spring pressed against a ceramic top surface. The wire wasn't large, ~1/16" wide. If you want to go coppycat.

Alternately, I see coffee maker machines with the warming plate below have an attractive shape element and Teflon coated surface to match. But plastic alone will not do to support it. Maybe brass standoff lugs or even long screws to give it stilts. Mount it to a coffee can or something else common. A dimmer switch or such to set degree of ON.

Some skills required in tinkering/soldering/fabricating. Others have also used a clothes iron clamped upside down to a desk, with heat facing up. If you like bought as is and cheap, one from a thrift store can be super affordable.

Ok, hope that helps

Pupper
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-1-2018 at 02:25

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
The conventional hot plate I opened had nichrome wire ribbon (flattened wire) wound around a mica sheet, spring pressed against a ceramic top surface. The wire wasn't large, ~1/16" wide. If you want to go coppycat.

Alternately, I see coffee maker machines with the warming plate below have an attractive shape element and Teflon coated surface to match. But plastic alone will not do to support it. Maybe brass standoff lugs or even long screws to give it stilts. Mount it to a coffee can or something else common. A dimmer switch or such to set degree of ON.

Some skills required in tinkering/soldering/fabricating. Others have also used a clothes iron clamped upside down to a desk, with heat facing up. If you like bought as is and cheap, one from a thrift store can be super affordable.

Ok, hope that helps

thanks c:
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2018 at 05:38

Quote: Originally posted by Pupper  
Hello everyone
I'm trying to make myself a hotplate, but I don't know what to use for the heating element. I've thought of Peltier modules but they don't seem very efficient. I've also considered heating elements but most of them are too big and expensive.
(Sorry if this has already been posted... I did do a search but didn't find anything)

I can not imagine a diy hotplate that can compete with a simple hotplate like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-ELECTRIC-SINGLE-HOB-HOT-PLA...

and if you are competent to bypass the internal thermostat and use an external controller such as this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000W-AC-50-220V-25A-Adjustable-M...
then you will have a very useful hotplate.

P.S. here in UK, on eBay there are many used domestic electric cookers, hobs, ovens ...
usually working and priced to sell/dispose of, replaced by one in this season's colours :(
- worth checking second hand first.

[Edited on 23-1-2018 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Pupper
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-1-2018 at 16:54

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Quote: Originally posted by Pupper  
Hello everyone

I can not imagine a diy hotplate that can compete with a simple hotplate like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1500W-ELECTRIC-SINGLE-HOB-HOT-PLA...

and if you are competent to bypass the internal thermostat and use an external controller such as this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000W-AC-50-220V-25A-Adjustable-M...
then you will have a very useful hotplate.

P.S. here in UK, on eBay there are many used domestic electric cookers, hobs, ovens ...
usually working and priced to sell/dispose of, replaced by one in this season's colours :(
- worth checking second hand first.

[Edited on 23-1-2018 by Sulaiman]

Unfortunately that hotplate doesn't post to Australia :'(
BaFuxa
Hazard to Self

Mood: Buzzing

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 11:11

Well I have been down that road a few months back. I experimented a lot with nichrome wires and a voltage regulator.

I just wasted my time. Nichrome is real bitch to work with. Trust me I had looked at every possible DIY design there is on this planet and I could not get it to work properly. Then there is the problem of heat regulation and safety. Playing around with that type of voltage is dangerous. You should just by one on ebay, they are cheap, safe and work really well.

The only thing I still consider making myself is a furnace.

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by BaFuxa]

Potential counts for nothing until realized.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 12:44

I have a single element version of this: Kmart hotplate

Dirt cheap. For our US friends Kmart is a bit like walmart.

Don't try to build an element - its not an easy thing to do well.

The other option is to find an electrical wholesaler that sells spares for ovens and hobs, and buy a solid element there.
But I'd bet the Kmart option is cheaper.

For more accurate temperature control you can buy PID controllers quite cheap off Aliexpress.com.

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings

Go To Top