Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Anyone Up for a DIY Particle Accelerator?
gregxy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2007 at 15:48

The radiation should not effect copper coils. Only semiconductors are susceptable. Did you work out the power disspiation for the coils? That would be the main issue with them.
jtkelectroman
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-6-2007 at 13:04

No I didn't figure out what the dissipation rate is. I just assumed that because they have good contact with the coolant line and the magnetic core most of the heat should be carried away before they get too hot.
BTW here is a picture of the magnet without it's pole faces.

red mag.jpg - 80kB
jtkelectroman
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-6-2007 at 13:06

Here is a picture of me doing a test fit to see if there will still be enough room for the pole faces with the chamber in place. Keep in mind that I need to make the pole faces yet.

fittest.jpg - 86kB
atomicproject
Harmless

Mood: Thermonuclear

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 15:12

Several months ago I decided to wait on the cyclotron project as indicated in this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11056

The magnet is certainly not going anywhere and I have always been intrigued with the VDG accelerator which started this thread. So, I decided to start on that project first.

Pictured below is my test model (for engineering purposes only) which I will use as a blueprint for the real one (to be built next month). This model allowed me to hone my skills related to glass cutting / drilling and to design certain aspects of the tube.

Here is a quick youtube video of my work thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es2zi2KVSmQ

Cascade Tube.jpg - 49kB
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-5-2009 at 18:11

Hello Atomicproject,

I don't know how well your tube will work, but it looks nice so far.

I'm wondering: (1) How did you put the radius on the ends of your drift tubes, did you use some sort of forming tool bit? (2) How will you seal the glass tube around where your radial "struts" are?

Also, regarding an electron gun, check out this place...they even have nanotube based triode field emission cathodes...look at their "model 102811 Field Emission Cold Triode Cathode ATC-CC Series".
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 05:45

Rather than drilling through the glass, perhaps you could use glass inner sleeves to space and fix the location of the drift tubes? Every drilled hole weakens the tube and provides an oportunity for leakage.
atomicproject
Harmless

Mood: Thermonuclear

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 10:46

Regarding the following questions and suggestions:
1) The ends of the drift tubes were formed with a modified cobalt lathe bit. After machining, each was individually polished.

2) It was suggested to use Duxseal from a someone I consider to be reputable ( http://www.fusor.net/board/view.php?bn=fusor_vacuum&key=...). If it dosent work, I will probably invest in Apezion W or seal it in with Hysol 1C (which I know works.) The latter being epoxy which makes it a permanent fixture. This I want to avoid because it makes tear-down near impossible. Any suggestions?

3) The Heat Wave Lab link is great. Lots of good ideas. I am fairly sure I will make my own as opposed to using one from the CRT.

4) Regarding drift tube placement. The equipotential rings must be electrically connected to each individual drift tube. I opted for the "hole drilling" method as it lessens the amount of seams that need to be sealed (as in the segmented cascade tube depicted in the original design.) I think your sleeve idea is excellent for a uniform placement and spacing of the tubes. I may try something like that for spacing and lessening the stress placed on the drilled holes, but the holes will probably have to remain.

The more I think about it, I like the idea of having the drift tubes all connected in a non-conductive arrangement. This way the entire assembly can be slid in and out of the containment tube for service and modification. It can probably be made similar to a CRT electron gun with all the tubes connected with glass tubular struts (or maybe alumina tubing). Thanks Eclectic, I will probably start on this today.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2009 at 19:44

Quote: Originally posted by atomicproject  
4) [...] I opted for the "hole drilling" method as it lessens the amount of seams that need to be sealed (as in the segmented cascade tube depicted in the original design.)
You might consider flame polishing the holes you've drilled. It will minimize the hazards of crack formation at the edges of those holes. You'll need to anneal afterward.

If you'd care to trade glassblowing for sealing, you could T-seal some Ace threads on each hole. Sealing is then done with gaskets and threaded caps, possibly with feed-throughs.
jimcro55
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 12:30

Do you know the measure of the wire mesh? What gauge diameter is the wire? any idea?

-J

http://www.bwire.com/
dehim
Harmless

Mood: static

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 09:36
Tesla Coil

Dear mad scientists,

I have a Tesla Coil and i want to know if i can modify my tesla coil so i can create a particle accelerator or do i really need a van de graaff generator?

Greatzzz,
Dédé
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 10-3-2012 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by dehim  
Dear mad scientists,

I have a Tesla Coil and i want to know if i can modify my tesla coil so i can create a particle accelerator or do i really need a van de graaff generator?

It can be done, but it doesn't work very well. In the years just before Van de Graaff invented his generator Merle Tuve of the Carnegie Institute of Washington built an oil immersed Tesla giving voltages above a megavolt and tried to use it to accelerate electrons and protons. This work is described in a couple of articles in Physical Review around 1930.

Tuve did obtain beams of protons and observed them in a cloud chamber and looked for nuclear reactions. The work was not very successful, partly because the oscillating voltage of the Tesla imposed voltage gradients on the accelerating tube that made it prone to voltage breakdown and puncture of the glass insulators of the accelerating tube.

Right after Van de Graaff invented his generator Tuve and his group built 600 kV and 1.2 MV generators and almost immediately produced steady beams of protons. They used these beams to confirm the work of Cockcroft and Walton as well as many original discoveries such as resonaces in nuclear reactions. This work was published in Physical Review during the 1930's and several of their papers describe how much better the whole thing worked with a Van de Graaff as opposed to a Tesla.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
20-11-2023 at 12:09
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top