Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: most appropriate material to topple tree
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 10:14

Lol, when he said "oak" I thought it was like 10' circumference.

A weedwhacker might do the job!
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 10:44

I could do the job with a chainsaw, some log chains and the 200' cable/30 ton winch on our 6X6 M35-A2, especially as you seem to want to remove all 3 trees, not save the oak.

But explosives WOULD be more fun.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 11:22

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
... M35-A2 ...

WHAT !?!

You have a 2.5 ton military cargo truck ?

Is it still Green ?

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 11:51

Nope. Basic black...

20180207_135357.jpg - 3.2MB

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 11:55

Awesome !

That's a great photo of it towing a building.

I hope that white stuff on the front is just for decoration and not what i think it is ...

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 13:54

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Awesome !

I hope that white stuff on the front is just for decoration and not what i think it is ...

No it is what you think it is...potassium Nitrate
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 14:10

Could be KNO3 yet it looks very much like HHO in the solid phase.

No, on reflection you're right - must be KNO3.

No habitable place on earth should be able to sustain solid HHO at ambient temperatures.

SpaceX's rocket launched today. Perhaps it's Elon's car ?

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 16:55

Oh, the building is just the part attached to the hitch, it is actually pulling the whole 75 acre property attached to the building too...

As far as the identity of the crystaline white substance, it is sugar. I like a lot in my coffee, spilled some after the last grocery run.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 17:00

As far as the identity of the crystaline white substance, it is sugar. I like a lot in my coffee, spilled some after the last grocery run.

I thought it was coffee creamer. My bad.

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 17:04

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Nah, that all burned up.

happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 17:29

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Nah, that all burned up.

The funny thing is, that stuff is quite flammable, really.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 18:11

Um.

I have got eight 50 lb. bags of the floor sweepings from a factory that makes the non dairy creamer sitting in our warehouse right now. Cheap because they need to get rid of it, once it hits the ground, they can't sell it for human consumption.

Guess what we do with it?

happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 18:15

Um.

I have got eight 50 lb. bags of the floor sweepings from a factory that makes the non dairy creamer sitting in our warehouse right now. Cheap because they need to get rid of it, once it hits the ground, they can't sell it for human consumption.

Guess what we do with it?

Um, woelen or polverone, can I get access to refs and whimsy?
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 18:33

Sorry!

Forgot where that was posted, here it is:

One of the most interesting semi pyrotechnic effects I have seen was done with a huge piece of white, woven fiberglass cloth (which supposedly doesn't burn- Well, under normal circumstances, it doesn't)

The cloth, which was about 40' tall and 150' wide had a very large design and words painted on it with clear nitrocellulose lacquer, on ths side AWAY from the audience. This was not visible, the whole thing was stretched out tight like a curtain, directly in front of audience and maybe 200' away. It filled a lot of your field of view

Behind it and parallel to it about 20' was a "front" made up of number of "cremora" effects.

In case you've not been exposed to solid fuel fire balls: A 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with about 6oz. of coarse grained black powder, "cannon powder" or 2FA and an electric match to light it. Then a single thickness piece of newspaper (to keep the powdered coffee creamer from filling the air spaces between powder grains), then about a 10" deep fill of cheap powdered coffee creamer, as deep as the bucket is wide.

The cremora fireball front fired, a wall of fire wider and taller than the huge screen.

THE DESIGN PAINTED ON THE SCREEN BBURNED THROUGH INSTANTLY, AND WHILE THE FIREBALL WAS STILL FULLY DEVELOPED.

Letters of fire hung in mid air just long enough to read, then the whole thing was gone except for a couple of shreds hanging off the guy wires.

Are you a size XXL?

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 21:40

Awesome !

Did you notice that power cord coming out of the sump?

That's so the crankcase oil doesn't turn to jelly when you leave it parked. Cold is Serious Business in the northern US.

edit, or maybe just the radiator? didn't notice it was in front of the diff.

[Edited on 8-2-2018 by SWIM]

joseph6355
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nitrated

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 07:27

Quote: Originally posted by THErAPIST  
The pictures dont do the size any justice but you can see the tangle

The extendable chainsaw will get a lot of the smaller stuf and will reduce the chance for sideways kicks. It's the trunks on top that am scary, they're certainly nestled

Admittedly its been a couple weeks since i looked at it last. It we as far harder to see things as clearly then as there were too many leaves. All the storms and ice weve had lately stripped all the leaves and some.of the amaller branches. Very much not as difficult as it first seemed. Thanks for all the replies though

[Edited on 7-2-2018 by THErAPIST]

Cut it in the middle with a chainsaw. After that, tie one of the pieces to a semi truck and tow it off of the other tree, and then the other one, one at a time. Then, cut them into smaller pieces and load it all on the back of the truck, drive it somewhere and dump it at the proper location.

[Edited on 8/2/18 by joseph6355]

Oh, hello! :)

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 08:28

I would be a little reluctant to burn those in that location with all other trees around. It's hard to tell how big they are.

Probably the safest way to remove them would be to use a crane, chains, and braces to prop up the two pines, remove the other tree, saw off the other two trees at the base, remove supports and chains, and lower the crane. You can probably rent a crane, but they aren't cheap (probably several hundred dollars/day for a small crane), and you really don't want to try anything crazy with a forklift, scissor lift, or bucket truck.

THErAPIST
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-2-2018 at 18:27

Holy giant truck. I'm jealous.

Ive got options for the trees, especially now that that i can see it better. I cant quite get in the pictures the exact reasons i dont want to just go ham with a chainsaw. Regrettably my pole saw doesnt reach 30 feet up. Still, explosives does indeed sound like fun if nothing else.

I could always rent out the labor of a local drunk. hand him a keyhole saw and a handle of fireball. This really isnt the most dangerous tree around either. The real scary one is the tree that's super leafy and green, but only because its 100% covered with a very thick tangle of poison ivy. I feel like I'm gonna die just looking at that thing
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 20:55

Well according to your screen name, why not just rape the tree till it falls over.....

Like come on man, posting in a EM forum with that screename. What if the tree decides to rape you back :o:o?

Anyways, you do seem like a serious dude, so... uh, enjoy golf...and trees and safe legal EM

Oh oh, and take off the poison ivy before you engage in non consensual relations with the tree.... truly, your friend

[Edited on 10-2-2018 by MineMan]
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 23:34

Remember this, everyone, next time you read the word therapist. Just a single space away from being something not therapeutic at all:(
Anyway, I know I'm a 100% n00b but would it be possible to pull the pine and tall oak off to the sides? Once they're on the ground, you can saw the standing oak. You could maybe use a chain and come-along attatched to the base of one of the tree's in the background. I know you probably don't have that equipment, but it would cost a lot less than $6k:D Just a suggestion, and probably an awful one since I still don't know WTF I'm talking about.
BTW, it looks like the tree has been attacked by a bangpecker. they make neat little holes in trees and rocks and then... Kaboom!

[Edited on 10-2-2018 by Vomaturge]
joseph6355
Hazard to Others

Mood: Nitrated

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 13:00

Check out this thread: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=79...
Laptakov has the answer. He invented this thing.

Oh, hello! :)

THErAPIST
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 14:27

:( haha I actually looked to see if I could change my username before I ever posted. It's the handle I posted with on roguesci and harkens back to the days when I played team fortress and counterstrike.

Thats an interesting thread. I remember seeing something similar way back when with video but i cant remwmber where I saw it.

Ive been watching some of liptakov on youtube. Good stuff
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 06:11
original picture

Here is the original image without any modifications. But why is connecting main charge directly on differential ? Detonator is I estimate inserted to some fluffy AN - mixture.

car.jpg - 327kB

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top