Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BIO-RAD GENE PULSAR II curvettes
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 06:19
BIO-RAD GENE PULSAR II curvettes

I regret buying this unit, i was aware it didnt have any corvettes with it, what I am now wondering is....

Does anyone think its possible to make corvettes for these? To me, apart from the fancy holder bit, the main bones of it would be, glass curvette, two aluminum plates around 0.6mm apart.

Anyone used these systems without the correct delivery system?
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  
I regret buying this unit, i was aware it didnt have any corvettes with it, what I am now wondering is....

Does anyone think its possible to make corvettes for these? To me, apart from the fancy holder bit, the main bones of it would be, glass curvette, two aluminum plates around 0.6mm apart.

Anyone used these systems without the correct delivery system?

I am surprised they use aluminium electrodes. Aluminium is usually covered by an insulating (poorly conducting) oxide layer that would limit the current in an unpredictable way across its surface. If you use aluminium as an electrode in a low-pressure gas discharge experiment you can see the variation in conduction from variation in the intensity of the glow over the surface of the aluminium.

I checked aluminium is used at least in some curvettes. Apparently the surface is “specially treated” to improve the uniformity. Perhaps it’s a coating of platinum. It would reduce contamination of the solution by aluminium and its minor additives (to improve properties) which your cells my be very sensitive to.

There is also the problem of making a reliable electrical contact with aluminium again because of the oxide layer. That can be fixed with nickle plating. Plating aluminium is tricky as the oxide film must be removed in such a way that it does not reform before the plating is added.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 11:26

Quote: Originally posted by NEMO-Chemistry  

Does anyone think its possible to make corvettes for these?

What, you want to make some small warships? That would be quite difficult to do by yourself. I suggest you start by taking over a drydock.

[Edited on 2-9-2018 by Metacelsus]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 12:49

You did try contacting the manufacturer and ordering replacement cuvettes, right?

I have heard of people putting a fiberglass shell onto a salvaged frame with a rebuilt engine, but if you're going to all that trouble you might as well construct a Lambo replica :D

Reboot
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 13:01

Something like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-48-New-Assorted-Gene-Pulser-Cuv...
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 16:42

Quote: Originally posted by Reboot  
Something like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-48-New-Assorted-Gene-Pulser-Cuv...

Thanks, but dosnt or wont ship to the UK.

I did contact suppliers which is why I am asking if they can be made. if I could get them at the ebay price I wouldnt hesitate.

New they are eye watering. I have only seen aluminum ones, i assume by the price they are coated. Copper I also assume is too toxic.

Nickel plating is an option I have, so is copper plating then nickel come that.

Or I might take a hit and sell it on. I ended up with another fuck up buy, a misunderstanding on the description lead to me buying something.

I got it at a good price but now I have to build a controller and power unit for it.

This is one reason I dont want to spend on this other one, I need the money to sort out the fermentor unit. Its got strange voltages, partly 240V and partly 110V then it has PID on top and a mag stirrer I have zero idea what the pin out or voltage is!!

Its got the PH control unit but no probe, a brand new 4 peristaltic pump unit. The pumps have non standard connectors, so I assume they also normally plug into the power or control unit, likely they are PID as well.

I dont need PID as such, I can make do with a timer on a micro and a zero cross point Triac.

Go To Top