Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SM fundraiser of some kind??
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 13:38
SM fundraiser of some kind??

Was just thinking about where I and others would go without SM and it's not a pretty thought. Not many other good forums out there like this one. I for one would be happy to donate something for the cause of maintaining the board and I think there may be some other people who feel the same way.

If the board want's more members I suggest that we start a SM youtube channel with some good videos and they could be pieced together from different member contributions (it can be made to look good this way, it just has to be done correctly). Videos with a header/footer of the SM URL could greatly boost "advertising" if that is desired and it could be monetized to generate some income for the board.

Maybe a paypal account for donations.

What about selling a graduated beaker coffee mug with the SM logo on it or 25 - 50ml shot glass beakers? I'm sure the logo could be etched into it or even screen printed onto it (I can look into that)
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 13:42

I appreciate the thought, but I am well-funded from my day job nowadays. I don't need money. What I am short of is time.

Our forum software is ancient. It was one of maybe two "good" open source options back in 2002. It's not good any more, security-wise. (I actually rather like its minimalism apart from security issues.) Transitioning to another forum has been oft-discussed but it's a monumental undertaking.

In the mean time, if you are familiar with PHP, I would gladly welcome security audits and enhancements in the form of pull requests against this github repository:

https://github.com/mattbernst/xmbforum

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 14:45

If Polverone says he doesn't need donations then the site is probably set but the thread does still exist:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3767

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-2-2018 at 23:53

Hmm. I'm long on time but short on money. If only there were a solution.

I remember doing a phpBB to vBulletin migration, and it was actually quite painless and preserved almost all of the theme. I think I still have a license to an older version of the software. It includes migration assistants for common forum software as well. Will try and mess around with it to see what I can do.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 00:00

Morbid thought but hear me out here...
What happens to the site if polverone is, uh, "unable" to take care of it, for reasons? Who would take the reigns?
Do the other admins have the keys and could take over should something happen?

I'm short on time, money, and php skills! So, i'll let someone else take that.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 12:14

Finally got the software set up. Unfortunately, I'm going to be really busy this weekend and monday.

Much of the security here is through obscurity, it seems. It's not always a bad strategy, but it's not always a good one either.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!

Go To Top