Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lead Acetate solution look like chocolate milk
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 16:43
Lead Acetate solution look like chocolate milk

I mixed some Pb and PbO with some 5% and 30% acetic acid and at first the liquid turned a cloudy white and then after some heating & stirring the liquid turned a color of chocolate milk only a little lighter, not quite as deep brown. While on heat the solution holds very fine particulate in suspension but once removed from heat (filled a flask to allow to settle) the particulate settled on the bottom and it has the same color as the brownish liquid but maybe a little whiter. The particulate reminds me of CaCO3 or CaSO4 settling out of solution.

The PbO that I added was the result of heating lead to very hot temps & pouring the metal off, the remainder that was oxidized looked grey but was crumbly and could be crushed to leave a yellow powder. The heating was done in a soup can so I guess there was the possibility of some iron oxide getting mixed into it but the amount of PbO to Pb was about 1:40 ratio, so there couldn't be that much iron oxide in the lead oxide to make it look this brown IMO.

When I filter the brown solution I do end up with a clear liquid so it seems that the color is largely due to the particulate in the suspension/solution.

I did add a little H2O2 into the mix but the color had already started to turn brown and this seemed to accelerate the process somewhat.

Has anyone experienced this when making PbOAc and do you know what it may be?
The Austrian Scientist
Harmless

Mood: Analytical

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 05:49

Try to dissolve some of the brown stuff and ad some K4[Fe(CN)6]*+3 H2O
if a blue percipitate forms you know its Fe
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 07:05

The brown color also may be due to formation of PbO2. Maybe you have some lead(IV) oxide in your mix.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top