Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Do you think it is immoral to steal chemicals and equipment?
Yes --- 32 (69.57%)
No --- 14 (30.43%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Do you think it is immoral to steal chemicals and equipment?
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 17:37

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Quote: Originally posted by wg48  
Questions about morality are open questions. They have no definitive answer and frequently stir up emotions with resulting bad behaviour.

This is a subject I have strong feelings on but will not express them. I just dig myself a hole and then get pushed into it and covered with dirt. Political correctness is very hard on me. I like to call them as I see them.

Check out my most favourite power tool clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fkNdPiIL4

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 17:58

I see MrHomeScientist had to apologize for his assertion that stealing was bad.

This makes me realize that saying whether or not you think stealing chemicals or equipment is immoral on this thread ( which actually does ask, "Do you think it is immoral to steal chemicals and equipment?") might be considered socially unacceptable.

Is it also socially unacceptable to point out the social unacceptability of demanding assent or silence from people who disagree with you by demanding they adhere to your standards of social acceptability which render their opinions on social acceptability unacceptable?

Seriously, where's Franz Kafka when you really need him?

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 18:21

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  

This makes me realize that saying whether or not you think stealing chemicals or equipment is immoral on this thread ( which actually does ask, "Do you think it is immoral to steal chemicals and equipment?") might be considered socially unacceptable.

Is it also socially unacceptable to point out the social unacceptability of demanding assent or silence from people who disagree with you by demanding they adhere to your standards of social acceptability which render their opinions on social acceptability unacceptable?

Seriously, where's Franz Kafka when you really need him?

I understand most universities are now saturated with"political correctness police." I will get a feel for this next fall when I plan on taking Philosophy 101. I intend to get into several hot debates and will express my honest opinion even if they kick me out of class. I have already been kicked off my wife's Facebook account for mentioning the word auto-eroticism. My sister-in-law was responsible for this. Today I told a woman in a chemistry lab she looked good in a white coat. She gave me a cold stare. This is a woman who dresses very smartly, obviously wanting to look good. Obama said Michelle's new portrait "showed off her hotness." Michelle probably liked this but did the "me too" police?

Where's Nietzche when you need him?

[Edited on 13-2-2018 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 18:49

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

I have already been kicked off my wife's Facebook account for mentioning the word auto-eroticism.

[Edited on 13-2-2018 by Magpie]

This is the ultimate absurdity.

The internet wouldn't be what it is today were it not for auto-eroticism!!!

@happyfooddance
Yes, home chemistry too.
Not quite as popular, but equally capable of ruining your keyboard if you're not careful.

[Edited on 13-2-2018 by SWIM]

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 19:21

This all started when my wife and I visited my son in Brooklyn, NYC. On the way to an art gallery show in Manhattan where my son exhibited 3 of his paintings we saw 1) an attempted suicide on the Brooklyn Bridge, 2) my wife stepped on a rat coming out of the art gallery in the evening darkness, and 3) we saw a homeless man lying on the street indulging in auto-eroticism.

My sister-in-law is a retired principal of an "alternative" high school in Idaho for those who can't adjust to a regular high school. So she said that I had probably not had the "worldly experience with auto-eroticism that she has had." I'm not sure what she meant by this but I thought it laughable. Another sister-in-law had to look up the word. My son in Brooklyn thought it was funny.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 21:14

And home chemistry
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 23:53

I can only assume my comment may have had something to do with this. However, I never stated my opinion on the matter. I was commenting on the manner in which he responded to another's anecdote. I agree, stealing is immoral. If everyone felt 'ahh, it's nothin' no one will miss this' the world would be quite a bit more miserable than it already is. At the same time, taking a length of solder is about as serious as taking an extra 10 or 15 minutes on the shitter while you are at work. Depending on one's hourly wage, being constipated might be even more detrimental to the company, or ruin the day for the guy responsible for keeping the toilet paper stocked...
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 08:24

I wouldn't compare the solder to workplace time-fraud. He was a paying student at university, likely paying extra lab fees. Unless the lab instructor doled out the wire like it was precious platinum, he's already payed for what he was using. If he feels like he used more than his allotment, perhaps he can opt to donate as an alumnus to ease the burden of the next generation in their unfunded passion.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 12:14

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  

But since I'm a shy person, I decided to be a criminal instead of just asking.
The hassle of having a two sentence conversation with another person? The horror! Just go ahead and steal it.

Now, I don't approve of theft, but as someone with social anxiety disorder you would be amazed at the lengths I have gone to to avoid having a two sentence conversation with someone before...
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 13:24

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  

... you would be amazed at the lengths I have gone to to avoid having a two sentence conversation with someone before...

And I thought it was just the Brits with that problem :D
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 13:33

Is it wrong to steal? Not if I really want something :-D

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 14:47

The internet wouldn't be what it is today were it not for auto-eroticism!!!

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  

But since I'm a shy person, I decided to be a criminal instead of just asking.
The hassle of having a two sentence conversation with another person? The horror! Just go ahead and steal it.

Now, I don't approve of theft, but as someone with social anxiety disorder you would be amazed at the lengths I have gone to to avoid having a two sentence conversation with someone before...

Quote: Originally posted by OldNubbins  

And I thought it was just the Brits with that problem :D

They say they've found a cause and solution, but have difficulty finding test subjects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoFap
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wSF82AwSDiU

[Edited on 13-2-2018 by RawWork]
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 15:47

Nope, the fix is chemical: sertraline.
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 15:56

Nope, the fix is chemical: sertraline.

I tried zyprexa, apaurin, sanval, and rissar, none helped. Maybe zyprexa did somewhat calm me and made me non responsive to people weird looks, but it had extreme side-effect, made me sleepy whole day. Could not walk. Luckily had positive side-effect, a feeling of being in heaven where everything looks like a dream or movie, and to be honest it was enjoyable. Had a feeling of love and few undescribable others.

I know, you're trying to say that fix for burning fire is fire extinguisher, but in the long term, it's not making any fire accidents. Every chemical disbalance has a cause, and closest to that could be what we ingest and inhale, like junk food. Just scientific opinion. :)

[Edited on 13-2-2018 by RawWork]
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 16:04

Well, I can't argue with that, but sertraline works pretty well for me. Admittedly the side effects during the first month were horrendous.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 17:58

In high school once, there was potassium nitrate solution left over from lab. I knew it was going to get thrown out anyway, so I put it in a plastic bottle I had and replaced the fluid in the disposal container with tap water. This was recent enough that, had I asked, liability would have been the #1 concern.

I'm not actually sure if this is stealing. Technically it is, but by taking something without asking that would have been thrown out, all I effectively did was absolve the school of any liability that might come from me using it to make homemade solid-fuel rockets.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 13-2-2018 at 18:51

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
In high school once, there was potassium nitrate solution left over from lab. I knew it was going to get thrown out anyway, so I put it in a plastic bottle I had and replaced the fluid in the disposal container with tap water. This was recent enough that, had I asked, liability would have been the #1 concern.

I'm not actually sure if this is stealing. Technically it is, but by taking something without asking that would have been thrown out, all I effectively did was absolve the school of any liability that might come from me using it to make homemade solid-fuel rockets.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, am I right?

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2018 at 16:26

I've been racking my brain to think of times when I ever might have stolen something, and the only things I have ever "stolen" in the name of chemistry were library books, and I eventually returned them. (I haven't had an overdue library book in decades.) The only times I can think of when I might have swiped, pilfered, misappropriated, burgled, lifted, absconded, or robbed for any other reason were for good-natured pranks, and I have played a few of those... but I always returned anything I might have poached after the joke had run its course. *shrug*

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 14-2-2018 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
... for good-natured pranks, and I have played a few of those...

I'm a prankster by nature. I had to sublime this tendency during my days of college and the responsibility of making a living. Those responsibilities are over now, mostly. Time for some good-natured pranks, I think.

I am a big fan of Norse mythology. So, this morning before anyone else entered the classroom in organic chemistry I placed the following in the upper-left corner of the whiteboard:

"Look up the following for class tomorrow:

Norns (3)
Erda
Siegfriëd
Brünhilde
die Valkyrie
Götterdamerung
Lotüng
Siglinde
Sigmünde
Logë
Wotan
Fricka
Rhinemaidens"

I put a note by this that said "SAVE."

Several of the students came in wondering what this was all about :D

I'm wondering how long it will be saved. The instructor didn't even see it and it wasn't in her way when she worked several long-winded problems.
Is this a good harmless prank? Will any students do the research?

[Edited on 15-2-2018 by Magpie]

[Edited on 15-2-2018 by Magpie]

RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-2-2018 at 17:04

Aw, that's harmless, few of them may as people are curious by nature. Correct, only successful people can make pranks. I like watching richkidstv, trollstation, askagangsta, edbassmaster, gilstraptv (this guy farts and IS funny) and many more on yt. Pranks are popular on youtube. You can make yt channel too. But be more extreme! Twinztv were so extreme that they recorded defecation in public while driving supercar :D Off topic.. :mad:

[Edited on 15-2-2018 by RawWork]
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 16-2-2018 at 18:32

The question you should be asking yourself is: "Why the fuck do these gits get to own all the chemicals anyway?" then you start a revolution and seize the means of (chemical) production and just as you think you and all your comrades gets to share the chemicals a bunch of men with guns come and throw you in gulag... where you get to go dig in a mine... for chemicals lol

Hyperbole be thy name
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2018 at 20:32

Alot of times its context as well, like stuff thats being thrown out. Similar to sexual harassment, if I pat a women on the arse I am burnt at the stake (or at least twittered about). However if the same women is on fire in the arse area I can happily pat away all I like!

Next time I see a womens arse on fire, fuck it she can burn, not getting on any me too list! I guess we need to get creative with what we say from now on, hey lady, those plastic milk producers look great! mind if I feel the tensile strength of the silicone? :D ok i will go stand in the corner!

Hacktacular
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2018 at 21:23

Isn't morality really just a general consensus of the public? In that case from what I've read it looks like it's all about context...

Personally though I agree, if it's something that's headed to the bin why not salvage it? It's your civic duty to recycle! On top of that you could always argue (especially at uni) that you've effectively paid a replacement fee for glassware in your course fees, but that could lead to some morally ambiguous behaviour. Is 're-homing' the occasional test tube theft? Well, yeah by definition but it's not something huge and you could've just as easily dropped it (breakage-fee covered). Is 're-homing' an entire distillation apparatus complete with heating mantle theft? I reckon you'd be hard-pressed to defend that one even to the most resourceful home chemist.
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 22-2-2018 at 22:12

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Occasionally, when reading some guide or other, or when discussing sundry chemistry topics with the denizens of these interwebs, someone suggests obtaining chemicals or equipment by theft. Do you think it is immoral to steal in order to advance the frontiers of human knowledge?

The ends do not justify the means, especially when we are talking about a hobby. A person's property is as sacred as their body. That being said most people obey the not because they are good but because they are cowards.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 22-2-2018 at 22:25

Yes, unless it's being discarded, in which case it can be legally theft but I don't think it really counts.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top