Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LC Materials?
dumbsnake
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 15:26
LC Materials?

Hey,

I am new to this forum. I got a biochem degree from a pretty good school and now I'm out in the "real world" but anyway... I was really hoping to get a Liquid chromatography setup going. I've been cruising the net and looking at some of the lab suppliers. I am hoping to get some reagent methanol, petroleum ether (36-60), silica gel and a column, but I have never bought chemicals online or glassware. I know it is a beginner dumb question to ask, but I couldn't really find a good answer to my question when I searched the forum. How should I go about this? And will these companies be willing to send to a residential area? Also, I have had a really hard time finding a simple column. Thanks for the help in advance.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 16:00

Check out ebay and labx. A decent rig can be had for ~$400. This would include a dual piston isocratic pump, a UV-Vis detector, a column (I would start with C18 ODS) and an injector. A little more cash will be needed for data acquisition, tubing, parker fittings, etc. Also--Check out state auctions!

Best of luck,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-3-2007 at 04:51

Untied Glass Tech has alot of good glassware. And probably has what your looking for. They sell no chemicals, though.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-3-2007 at 22:38

I strongly recommend LabX. As I understand it you're looking for a basic rig. A column, silica and some solvents. I just put one like that together. I'd love to have the pumps and detectors Ozone is talking about but will wait on LabX to provide. Meanwhile I got 2 dozen 20 ml beakers to collect fractions. I have UV light too for the stuff that flouresces in it. You can get (stationary) flourescent material and mix it with your adsorbant too as you probably already know.
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2009 at 21:28

Quote:
Meanwhile I got 2 dozen 20 ml beakers to collect fractions.

Sorry this is old, but is there a reason why you don't just use test tubes?

[Edited on 28-8-2009 by kclo4]

Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 06:57

I think the thread starter was talking of simple column chromatography, and not HPLC material.

A column could be made relatively cheaply by any glassblower. It's pretty common glassware. I would get one with a glass fritt at the bottom to avoid packing with cotton, etc. Very practical.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 30-8-2009 at 13:32

http://www.labx.com/v2/labauction/auctionadsorig.cfm?aucsele...

Occasionally, very good deals appear. My local university downloads mountains of servicable, used glassware, herein.

Go To Top