Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Heavy metals and the non chemist- What could go wrong here...
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 13:35

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

I shoot, reload cartridges and cast some of my own bullets from Lead alloys.

I know one person who did this at least two times a week few years ago. After 2 or three months he developed lead poisoning but didn't stopped until he was placed in a hospital in very serious condition.
It was performed without any PPE using propane burner. No fumes extractor, just the wind from time to time.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 14:15

They had a discussion about this on a reloaders forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121103-Lead-F...

They investigated that if lead is heated too much (over 500C), it will start to release significant amount of fumes. Lead dust has also been confirmed as a cause for elevated lead blood.

I'd be curious to measure my lead blood after I handled some lead acetate multiple weeks ago. I did everything by the safety standards, so I don't expect there to be any noticeable increase.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 15:31

I have my blood analysed every 6 months (work requirement) for a range of heavy metals, other contaminants and health indicators.
Despite doing a lot of work on lead contaminated sites over the years and regularly working with lead at home in my lab, I have never returned a detectable concentration of lead or any other contaminant. If you know the element/compound/reaction you are working with, are careful, and use PPE appropriately, you are quite safe.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top