Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Desiccator question - height or surface?
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 11:36
Desiccator question - height or surface?

Which have the best performance: A tall desiccator with a smaller surface or a wide-surface desiccator with short height?
By best performance I mean which will absorb water the fastest and if the position of the drying agent and the wet material inside the desiccator in relation to the form of the desiccator influences the drying time (effect of vertical stacking vs horizontal stacking on drying time).

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 12:37

All the dessicators I’ve seen are small form, like a crock pot kinda thing, and I’d say that leads to the fastest adsorption time. As with anything to do with adsorbency, higher surface area is more effective. You’ll still want some depth to the desiccant though, as the moisture will slowly move down towards the bottom until it equalises out. That’s all I really have to say on the matter though, never used a dessicator myself so I’m just going off principle.

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 14:42

I see. I have recently used a small wide cookie plastic box (900 ml) as a makeshift desiccator to dry 50 g of some pretty hygroscopic salt in 1.5 months using anh. CaCl2, without having to make the box air-tight. However, when I used a large (diameter equal to height) plastic bucket (10 l) to dry 100 g of wet salt (double), I couldn't get any visible drying even after 3 months, even though I used 5 times more anhydrous CaCl2 than in the small box. I've then moved the content to a smaller box (5 l), only this time the box is wide & short like the first one, and now after a couple of weeks I'm finally getting some dry salt appearing on the surface. I'm positive the bucket isn't broken since I've tested for leaks and it sealed properly as the CaCl2 was still dry after 3 months. Not sure why it failed to dry at least a bit in the large bucket.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2018 at 16:25

Surface area, volume, temp gradients, vapor pressure all play a roll.

You want the smallest volume to keep the vapor close to the desiccant while providing a good temp gradient between the two with the largest surface area possible.

IE: Round and flat like the vast majority of store bought desiccators/fruit dryers
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2018 at 02:24

You could probably get away with using a bucket to dry if you periodically mix around your product to make sure the wet stuff comes to the top, if you just leave it then it’ll hold onto the moisture more effectively. It’ll be something to play around with, but if it doesn’t work out then go for the option(s) that do the job.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
KalleMP
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 11:00

I wonder if fitting a fan blade from an old PC fan with a magnetic stirbar left at the bottom (elevate the desiccant a bit) might make for fast drying.

I recently purchased a used lab type desiccator and have had some sodium acetate solution (about 10g in 100ml) with almost 200g of calcium chloride desiccant. It has been about 2 weeks and the level of the solution has come down to about half but seems to have stopped dropping (maybe) so the process is slow or I may have skimped on the CaCl.

The key is to have the air move past the product and the desiccant so that the vapour pressure of the water keeps attempting to equilibrate.
Another simple alternative would be a 40W light shining on one side (light and temperature sensitive products excluded) to get good convection flow.

I placed my desiccant in an opaque dish so am unable to see if it is already all deliquescent so next time I will dig out the large evaporating dish to put in the bottom and think about fan or convection circulation.
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 12:16

If you’re trying to dry sodium acetate then I’d recommend boiling the solution down until you get a wet solid - just make sure you keep it moving whilst it precipitates out otherwise it will all come flying out once the solid mush gets too thick for the bubbles to escape easily. Obviously the less water you start with in your product, the faster it will dry and you’ll need less dessicant overall.

Go To Top