Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Odd "plasticy" crystals while making Copper Acetate
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2018 at 13:47
Odd "plasticy" crystals while making Copper Acetate

Decided to try to make some copper acetate with vinegar/H2O2 solution that is 2.5%/2.5% . I filled a large funnel with small pieces (1/4 - 1/2" long) 22g wire pieces - about 8 - 10 lbs and placed some cotton balls in the bottom of the funnel to filter & hold the wire pieces. The wires had black copper oxide on the outside from being burnt (washed well before using). I dripped the acid solution with a sep funnel at about 1 drop a second. after about 250ml I had tons of foam (3" deep & 8" diameter funnel) and it the copper was pretty warm and a lot of CuO was floating on top of the foam. slowly poured 5% vinegar on the foam, it slowly dissolved bubbles. Recovered about 400 ml of beautiful blue clean clear solution under the funnel. It looked like a very clean reaction product.

I evap'ed about 200ml in 2 dishes (oven at 230-240F) and allowed the other 200ml to evap at room temp. I got very odd reactions with all of them. I then used the same copper and just vinegar boiled on stove - about 3L, filtered, boiled down solution and got the best acetate crystals I've ever had. Small but perfect in color and consistency. Did the same with vinegar & H2O2, filtered & boiled down and got same nice crystals. So it seems the acids/H2O2 and Cu are all fine and make expected product.

Now the pics of the first solution.

This is the petri dish from slow drip then evap'd at ~235F
Cu AoC - petri dish.jpg - 1.1MB

Same as above but closer pic
Cu AoC - petri dish 2.jpg - 1.1MB

Same batch as above but larger dish with more solution. Looks like CuO on the top which is odd b/c copper acetate shouldn't have decomped anywhere near that temp and it wasn't under direct heat.
Cu AoC - deep dish.jpg - 1.2MB

Same as above but without the burnt layer on top. Not much crystals and it is an odd compact "dust".
Cu AoC - deep dish 2.jpg - 587kB

This is from the same solution as above but evap'd at room temp for 2-3 weeks. Notice the light color "fluff" that is very light blue/white-ish. IDK how this formed and there are normal acetate crystals in it as well (see around top right edge). The white-ish is very light and it does dissolve in water. I am wondering if the peracetic acid or copper acetate (or the mix) might have dissolved the cotton and this is a result of it?
Cu AoC Solution.jpg - 208kB

Closer pics of above
Cu AoC Solution 2.jpg - 182kB

Closer pics of above
Cu AoC Solution 3.jpg - 143kB

Go To Top