Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Less lethal weapon systems using chemistry
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 05:11
Less lethal weapon systems using chemistry

People say it's easier and smarter to prevent than to heal or fix. I noticed that people could avoid various problems if they had samething in hands at the given moment. I am watching police chasing somebody (via foot, car, helicopter...), terrorists chasing somebody, shootings happening to car or from car, burglary in my country, hit and run, car accidents. In most cases the suspects dissappear or situation gets resolved via a lot of blood spill and material/financial damage.

I won't say that I am on anybody's side specifically, but let's see how can police catch suspect easily without any damage, without killing or harming.

I think they could throw some gooey/slimey substance on vehicles glass and that would prevent suspect from continuing to run. Better yet, why not splatter vehicle doors with some liquid substance which would immediately solidify on cooling and prevent the suspect from exiting the car too.

What is your idea for weapon substitutes and better security in world using chemicals? What is best way to make such disabling substances?

Youtube is full of such chase videos, which end up with death. I think chasing is not smart, especially when you have to shoot. Other persons or animals can be in vehicle, wrong target can be shoot. In most cases police doesn't even shoot, but only begin shooting after much of their vehicles get damaged and when suspect starts shooting.

Also riot preventions look ineffective! How to prevent riots?! They happened in my city 4 years ago, and damage was enormous.

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by RawWork]

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by Bert]
sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 09:25

:mad::mad::mad: Posting armed National Guard troops is the
best method of riot prevention. :mad::mad::mad:

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by sodium_stearate]

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 09:42

That's what I thought, but tell that to my government. :(
Actually special police didn't wanna help normal police to stop riots. Their boss was later arrested.
But even if they arrive, they will still use similar weapons, correct?
I was asking for non-weapon method.
Closest to that what they already use is water gun.
Something that can disable people. Kind of freeze them.
Without stress, waiting, inaccuraccy.

Something that even we can make. If they could somehow make handcuff guns. So that handcuffs automatically attach to peoples arms and legs. Everything else is too difficult.

For vehicles it seems more simple, because even a bit hot substance can be poured over it's doors and glue them when solidifies.

I am specifically interested in material which will glue or constrict on whatever it's thrown.
Normal glues are too expensive and probably toxic.

Or maybe using magnets and two or more small metal parts...something like that. If not possible using chemical method.

Or this whole question simplified: how would you stop person that is running away from you without damaging people or cars? (closest to that is popping tires, but it's difficult and dangerous)

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by RawWork]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 10:33

This guy makes some incredible videos. It's not chemistry, but he can disable vehicles from quite a distance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XbLz0L6UdI

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 10:38

I took the liberty of shortening the thread title and moving this to a more appropriate sub forum.

-------------------

This is what you are after?

Preventing the need for shooting/chasing down and beating on people of interest to police by using chemistry to find ways to restrain or render people unable to flee or fight.

You want to do this by physical means, such as fast hardening sticky foams to restrain people- NOT by use of what are now considered chemical weapons, which mostly work through systemic effects to kill or incapacitate.

There are several USA military studies on this type of stuff-

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by Bert]
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-4-2018 at 10:39
RawWork
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 11:03

Exactly. I won't discuss punishments here, stuff that we should deal with after the confrontation. That is separate problem.
But during confrontation many things get out of control. In case of riots both sides get damaged, and no gain for anyone.
Water works somewhat, it will demotivate and weaken people, I tested it on animals, they run away.

But running away or chasing with vehicle at high speed + shooting is dangerous, inaccurate, dangerous for sorroundings...

I already have partial plan how to run away from chasing vehicle (be it police or whoever). Just shoot some liquid which will solidify on their front window of car. Something that will solidify, crystallize, precipitate that even windshield wiper wont' be able to move. Some temporary, non-destructive measure.

Person possesing this would be able to prevent car from chasing them and have time to run and hide. Or person doing this to car they are chasing would be able to catch them.

Just can't figure out what parameter to look for. Obviously too hot is not a solution, as it will damage anything.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 11:28

For a long time, people have been trying to make more effective non-lethal weapons. It seems that the trouble is that anything likely to incapacitate someone instantly carries a chance of permanent injury or death. Batons can cave in the head, Adamsite (which has been used as a sneeze/puke/tear gas for crowd control https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamsite) can cause serious arsenic poisoning, electric shocks can damage the brain or stop the heart, and glues might stick skin, veins, and corneas in place while the tissue beneath is moved. As such, new designs for non-lethal weapons are always being created. None are perfect, so suggestions for new-and-improved designs will always be welcome.
I like the EMP thing, if it really works as depicted. It looks like there is indeed some commercial interest in this principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuus8OtPY0w
Maybe something like this would be good for stopping people on foot:
http://www.animal-care.com/product/coda-all-purpose-net-gun/
Here's a device which "catches" cars by shooting a GPS tracker onto the back:
https://www.starchase.com/
The idea is that instead of trying to chase after them, you just track their location. Then, arrest them when they stop, or set up spike strips or barricades made of vehicles (or, if it's marshal law with the national guard, bazookas and machine guns?:o).

I myself am fascinated by the idea of a weapon which completely covers the windshield of a car with paint. It won't help if the suspect/assailant is running away from you, and it might well end in a fatal crash if the car is already going fast, but at low speed you could force them to stop to make an arrest. Maybe water balloons or squirt guns full of a suitable pigment would make a good companion to the Starchase GPS tracker? They'd need to be fluid enough to spread out across the windshield, but still be able to create an even coat (as in, not just drops) and stick there.

If riots are so widespread that a country needs to have national guard in place constantly to deter them (basically with the threat of shooting their own citizens), then there must be something seriously wrong making everyone want to riot. I think that stationing national guard to prevent riots sounds okay, so long as you have an open means of emigration for your citizens, and are willing to have a mass exodus of people from your Orwellian state. Now, I understand bringing in national guard when things get completely out of hand, but that hopefully doesn't happen too often in a well-adjusted society. It would happen even less if there was such a thing as a completely effective but non-dangerous weapon.

Go To Top