Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Analog hotplate: no more rythmic light dimming?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 14:12
Analog hotplate: no more rythmic light dimming?

Hello!

I have a question: would a more "analog" hotplate ,like a corning pc 351, reduce lab room light dimming from the heater control? I have a Corning PC 320 and for the most part it works well. It heats, stirs and probably could do more than I expect, but when I plug it in and use it above heater setting 4, I can see the lights dimming with the 'on' power cycle in the pulsed hotplate power supply. When I use my heating mantle with a variac :I don't have that rhythmic dimming of the lights. If anyone has advice or ideas how to mitigate this I am all ears and appreciative. Thanks and good yields to you!

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 14:17

Use LED lighting. Or compact fluoros.
The control circuitry in either one will maintain constant light output. Unless you've joined the race to the bottom and bought the cheapest, shittiest, nastiest lights you can find.

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by Twospoons]

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by Twospoons]

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 14:22

All depends on how many amps your device is pulling. I don't know what you mean by "more analog." I got used to the lights dimming whenever my old Thermolyne or my rotovap water bath (both of which are most definitely "analog" in every sense of the word) would cycle on, but recently I replaced all of my lab lighting with LEDs so that's no longer a problem anyway.

Edit: Twospoons beat me on the LED suggestion

[Edited on 4-3-2018 by Texium (zts16)]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Reboot
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 15:14

I'm surprised it has a visible impact on the lights; that's not an unreasonably powerful hotplate. I would be curious if the hotplate was drawing more current than it should, or if there's something else (or multiple things) drawing more power than the room can support. (In the US anyway, household rooms are often wired to handle 15 amps, which is plenty for most things.)

Adding a dimmer circuit to reduce voltage to the hotplate would likely work, but in the process you reduce the heat output so there's a give and take.

If the hotplate seems to be working normally and there's nothing apparently wrong with the overall demands on that power circuit, other light bulbs (like LED) might be worth trying.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 15:34

What I had meant by " more analog" ( which I admit is a dumb way to phrase my intent) was a hotplate stirrer that was not designed with a pulsed heater power supply, but rather a non pulsed supply like a rheostat or a smaller variac. perhaps I may be a bit of a fool, but I have always suspected these pulsed power supplies add noise to the mains. How much that is true or matters, I will leave to more experienced minds.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 16:37

As other stated your feed line is over burdened (Reducing load via led lights simplest solution) or there is a lose connection in the panel.

or the lights happen to be on the same circuit as the plate, in which simply select a different plug for it!

Go To Top